Mono for divers/flashers

There are 4 ways to get your lure down to the fish 🐟 once they get deeper than 15 ft .

1    riggers 

2.  divers dipsey style , jet planers  ,pink lady and the like . 

3  copper ,lead core , steel , snap weights . You need different lengths for different depths .expensive and kind of complicated for small boats . 

Best off planer boards . 

4 diving plugs , only good to 35 ft max . 

Easiest , riggers . 

Most versatile , slide divers . Can be used from 15 to 80 ft with no or minor adjustments . 

And some of you guys are so set against braid . And I just don't know why . I know Whaler uses both braid and slide divers . And he does well on them . 

16 hours ago, TyeeTanic said:

A 12 lb weight on a rigger has about 40 ft to 50 ft of blowback, when you try and hit 100ft to 120 ft deep.

(So you need 150 ft of line out to get 100 ft down).

How much blowback you think a 7 oz (little more than half pound weight) weight will have? Answer ... tonnes, you'll have a tough time reaching 100 ft without the right diver on it to assist.

i can reach 65' deep with a 2 oz weight with 65# braid and 245' of line out. i would think with a 7 oz weight it wouldn't be that hard to target 80' to 100'. i know for no more than it would cost i would be willing to give them a try.

yes, you're going to get blowback with a 7 oz diver. but with 7 oz of weight and the design of the diver it's going to dive a lot deeper than the 65' i get with a stock 2 oz weight with the small ring.

just try one with the 7 oz weight with the large ring and go to 100' of water at trolling speed and let out line slowly until you start bumping bottom (or not) and see if it's a tool that will replace wire for guys that's having so much trouble running wire. braid is cheap compared to wire and it doesn't kink like wire.

I'm not trying to say it's a better option than wire. I don't know for a fact that it will reach 100' but it is something to thank about.

It doesn't have to be an either or situation. I run slide divers from braid in the upper areas of the water column and wire dipsys for the deeper areas. Each approach excels at what it does best and basically what it was designed for. It isn't a matter of one being superior per se. but one being a more effective solution for each task.

• Like 1

On 12/27/2021 at 7:12 AM, sherman brown said:

i can reach 65' deep with a 2 oz weight with 65# braid and 245' of line out. i would think with a 7 oz weight it wouldn't be that hard to target 80' to 100'. i know for no more than it would cost i would be willing to give them a try.

yes, you're going to get blowback with a 7 oz diver. but with 7 oz of weight and the design of the diver it's going to dive a lot deeper than the 65' i get with a stock 2 oz weight with the small ring.

just try one with the 7 oz weight with the large ring and go to 100' of water at trolling speed and let out line slowly until you start bumping bottom (or not) and see if it's a tool that will replace wire for guys that's having so much trouble running wire. braid is cheap compared to wire and it doesn't kink like wire.

I'm not trying to say it's a better option than wire. I don't know for a fact that it will reach 100' but it is something to thank about.

I misread the post I was replying to ... sorry I was reading fast, and didn't realize we had switched to braid line ... the OP spoke about using mono line ... and I'm concerned about getting down that deep with mono, even with the weight ... there's gonna be tonnes of drag.  Yes, I agree if you have a MAG ring on a dipsey, or weighted ring on a diver, and using braid or wire line ... you can get to below 85'. 

Edited by TyeeTanic
  • Like 1

On 1/3/2022 at 10:54 AM, TyeeTanic said:

I misread the post I was replying to ... sorry I was reading fast, and didn't realize we had switched to braid line ... the OP spoke about using mono line ..

I did not switch subject to braid, people just started taking over the post.   LOL  NO big deal.  

I have decided to keep at the wire.   Related.....   in a pinch can twili tips be used with mono ? or will it "melt' the line? or whatever?  

On 1/7/2022 at 5:57 AM, Hounds said:

I did not switch subject to braid, people just started taking over the post.   LOL  NO big deal.  

I have decided to keep at the wire.   Related.....   in a pinch can twili tips be used with mono ? or will it "melt' the line? or whatever?  

I see no issue using a twili tip with mono ... in fact, if I had to guess, I'd say it's probably safer to use that then a typical loop style line guide ... the twili as you know puts a nice soft bend in the mono ... and it's smooth steel, so it should not abrade the mono.

• Like 2