Fair Haven April 18, 2009

We had red hot brown trout action in Fair Haven today! I fished with my buddies Gump, Eric, and Curt and we had consistent action all morning long and boated a mixed bag of browns, a coho, and a steelie. Water temps were 45-47 degrees and the fish wanted a 2.4-2.8mph troll. Goby stick baits (KA-BOOM's and a new Rapala) and this new Super Slim VQ Green Goby did most of the damage for us today:

Fishing2009056.jpg

We were in 9-10 FOW all morning long and I had that spoon parked at 8' on a rigger and it took 6 or 7 fish in about two hours down time today. I was messing around with a few other patterns first thing in the morning but as soon as I put that one on it lit up. East of the chute 2-3 bluffs down was good for us, but it sounded like the guys who went further East did equally well. I didn't hear from anyone who went West out of the chute, but I assume they had as much fun as we did today. Most boats we saw today were hooked up too. The few fish that we kept all had 2-3" Gobies in their bellies, so if you come up, bring your Goby imitations with you and have at it. What a great way to start the season!

Fishing2009057.jpg

Nice looking fish...good going. I was out there on Wednesday getting knocked around in 3' waves. Caught one 16" brown and a 15" coho on JR-11 off boards. I did purchase the lure you caught your fish on, but I didn't try it yet. Looks like I should have put my riggers down! Most fish we marked were down 6-8 fow out of the cute to the west. I'm a rookie just learnin ;(

Yeah, that spoon was a hot one yesterday. I tried a half dozen different colors on the other rigger and it only went once when I had an Area 51 on it. We pretty much run our riggers every trip out unless there's just a couple of us and all the fish want are sticks off of the boards that day. Most of the fish were cookie cutter browns, but they fight like mad on that light line. Looks like the wind might mess things up for a few days, but I sure can't wait to get back out there again!

Fishing2009054.jpg