Holiday Hunt--Opt in/out next year

dawsonscreek

Wondering if somebody know more about this than me. The holiday hunt in the southern zone is a go this year, but it says on DEC regs that counties can opt in/out next year. I am curious on how that in/out decision will be made. I am off work that week every year and I am very looking forward to some more time in the woods. Is this something that can be influenced towards a yes at the polls, if so which elected position can influence that decision? thanks for any input.

Merry Christmas and enjoy the time in the woods safely!

Edited by dawsonscreek

45 minutes ago, dawsonscreek said:

Wondering if somebody know more about this than me. The holiday hunt in the southern zone is a go this year, but it says on DEC regs that counties can opt in/out next year. I am curious on how that in/out decision will be made. I am off work that week every year and I am very looking forward to some more time in the woods. Is this something that can be influenced towards a yes at the polls, if so which elected position can influence that decision? thanks for any input.

Merry Christmas and enjoy the time in the woods safely!

Writing local politicians and letting them know where their voters stand is never a bad idea.  

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Tall Tails said:

It is a slippery slope allowing politicians to be involved in game management decisions.....  It doesn't really matter which side of the isle you are on with the Holiday hunt. 

Agreed. I dont understand why they would even allow and opt in/ opt out option.

The “opt in opt out” is at the county level so contact your county legislature representative.  Also won’t hurt to let DEC know whether you are for or against as well.  Another place where sportsman need to get involved is with there local county sportsmen’s federation.  I’m involved with Chautauqua County Federation and like most need more involvement especially from younger sportsman.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Tall Tails said:

It is a slippery slope allowing politicians to be involved in game management decisions.....  It doesn't really matter which side of the isle you are on with the Holiday hunt. 

Yes and you can look no further than this past fall with the new youth hunt when Erie county legislator's pass the measure only to be vetoed by the county executive.

Dawson Creek-whoever is the legislative body in your particular county.  Could be called county legislator or board of supervisors.  Your address will have someone representing you.  Usually you can go the county website and get that information.  I would wait til after 1/1/22 to make sure new reps weren't voted in and to make sure the site has been updated.  

• Like 1