Price fixing

11 hours ago, Yankee Troller said:

I am one of the largest marine electronics dealer/installers on Lake Ontario's South shore I will put my $.02 in. In order to sell most companies high end stuff dealers have to sign a re-sellers agreement not to advertise below Manufacturers Advertised Pricing (MAP). More and more electronics companies have gone to this. This gives the brick and mortar vs the internet dealer the same shot at business in my opinion and puts everyone on the same playing field. Mark up on these electronics is HORRIBLE as it is. That being said with our install business at the marina we sometimes can discount items since we have the service business to go with the sale of the product. I can also go to a trade show, like the Niagara Outdoor Expo, and sell for whatever I want there as long as I don't advertise it. We had over $200,000 in product (cost not retail) that we were bringing to that show. I still have a lot of that product on an order, which most has been tough to get your hands on. If anyone's interested I will have that order sometime in mid February.

To the original posters comment if it was illegal I would think these big companies legal teams would not let them do it, but everyone of them do it. It's been this way for many years. Also, if you PM me and tell me what you want I can see what I can do for you.

awesome post

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/26/2021 at 10:34 AM, chinook35 said:

Here is a topic for discussion. I’d like to hear everyone’s take on this. I have been in search of a certain electronics upgrade since the end of the fishing season. I searched every venue , local , online , large and small marine suppliers , and the manufacturer's web site ( I’m not naming names at this time )  the price was invariably the same all over. Ok. I’ll wait for black Friday or cyber Monday   No good price was the same   I found one site with a best offer   I offered what I am willing to pay ( not a ton below the asking price , I wasn’t lowballing )  got a counter offer for the exact price offered everywhere. I am asking the federal trade commission and my state’s AG to look into this  if it’s price fixing. It’s illegal. Any input ? This seems to happen a lot in the marine / fishing environment 

Just an update. The deals are out there if you look. I just received my Garmin echomap uhd 73cv AND a 50/200 dual frequency transducer , for under $600 for the pair and that includes shipping and tax. Thanks for all the input and advice