Kicker Bracket

This was only one question, but there are more, like, do you want to have tiller steering and speed control or would you prefer to cable remote control? Maybe it is wireless speed and steering remote control.

If you fish alone,I would definitely go for the wireless remote system,it is so much more convenient and does not tie you to one place.

As for 9.9 engine, do not under estimate the power of the smaller engines (9.8 or 6). If you think about new, my choice would be a 9.8 or 9.9 Tohatsu tiller with wireless remote speed and steering. But if a good second hand one (tiller or kicker) presents itself you may want to consider that too..

Do you fish Cloven?

Sorry, I went off subject.

4 stroke engines are supposedly more powerful than 2 stroke ones . So for 4 stroke engines the brackets are heavier. The light weight 4 stroke Panther brackets are probably what you are looking for.( I think that this idea is based on the thought that 4 strokes are heavier than 2 strokes. But the 9.8 tohatsu tiller outboard has the same weight as most 2 strokes)

Edited by rolmops

4 hours ago, Trout Whisperer said:

I am thinking a 4 stroke 9.9 Hp.  I have some lakes over here in Western MA that it would allow me access to as well.  Also welcome any feedback on newer 4 stroke kicker motors purchased out there.  Thx

Littleville?

For a 17.5’ a 8 hp kicker more than enough. 9.9 more common, but some mfg’s offer an 8 that is a “detuned” 9.9 and is a couple hundred less.  Also pay attention to alternator size-electric start versions tend to have higher rated alternator.  Lots of good choices in the little 4 strokes today.

22 hours ago, rolmops said:

( I think that this idea is based on the thought that 4 strokes are heavier than 2 strokes. But the 9.8 tohatsu tiller outboard has the same weight as most 2 strokes)

The 4 strokes develop more torque at the prop and are usually somewhat heavier but I found that the 9.8 Tohatsu I have was at 90 lbs within 2 pounds of my old 2 stroke Johnson 9.9 long shaft was but the torque is greater which is why a heavier duty bracket is usually recommended. If the weight is a concern stay away from trim/tilt as it adds considerable weight and is usually not necessary on smaller boats anyway.

ROLMOPS- thinking a tiller and try it first with steering with the bigger motor. Probably going to start off without controls- since if it is bumpy out there i may move to the bigger motor any ways.   I was looking at the Mercury or Honda's.  I read online somewhere there was a Mfg defect on the Mercury, but i would assume new units have this resolved.  RE: Cloven- no i haven't...where is it :) ?

Probably going to start off without controls.  

spoonfed-1- that's 1 of 3 lakes I want to get on, but my 115 hp would be prohibitive without a 9.9hp and prop removed in at least 1 of the bigger lakes..I'm in Woodstock, CT right over the line near Sturbridge...

Thanks everyone for the comments.  Can't wait to get back out there...

1 hour ago, Trout Whisperer said:

ROLMOPS- thinking a tiller and try it first with steering with the bigger motor. Probably going to start off without controls- since if it is bumpy out there i may move to the bigger motor any ways.   I was looking at the Mercury or Honda's.  I read online somewhere there was a Mfg defect on the Mercury, but i would assume new units have this resolved.  RE: Cloven- no i haven't...where is it :) ?

Probably going to start off without controls.  

spoonfed-1- that's 1 of 3 lakes I want to get on, but my 115 hp would be prohibitive without a 9.9hp and prop removed in at least 1 of the bigger lakes..I'm in Woodstock, CT right over the line near Sturbridge...

Thanks everyone for the comments.  Can't wait to get back out there...

I fish Big Alum, Little Alum and South Pond out that way. As far as the kicker bracket goes I can,t help you out with a recommendation other than don't cheap out or you will have nothing but problems and headaches. Get a good quality bracket. As far as the style of kicker motor go with one that has a charging system sufficient to keep your battery charged.

Good luck.

I just bought a Panther bracket for my Mako 201 CC.

Got the stainless version ,open box for $199 off Ebay.

Keep an eye out as these kind of deals show up once in a while.

Same unit here in Canada retails for over $500 C.

On 1/3/2022 at 9:58 AM, Trout Whisperer said:

I am thinking a 4 stroke 9.9 Hp.  I have some lakes over here in Western MA that it would allow me access to as well.  Also welcome any feedback on newer 4 stroke kicker motors purchased out there.  Thx

I purchased twin Suzuki 9.9 s for my boat last year. I can't say enough good things about the Suzuki. Elec start, fuel injected, power trim, and all for $2400.00. Another benifit of the Suzuki 9.9 is if you don't have enough power there are a couple of fixes. You can take out the breather restrictor plate and you now have a 15 HP engine, or swap the restrictor plate and the ECU and you have a true 20 HP engine. I just love my new Suzukis