Upland Shotgun

So this dog I have who will be 1 year old January 15th, has completely changed me and how I choose to spend my spare time. I have become addicted to following him around in the fields and getting him in the duck blind when possible! That being said I'm in the market for a new upland gun! Any recommendations on a good gun? I'm thinking I want something somewhat light in a 20 gauge...... but open to all ideas. Really not looking to drain my bank account but I am willing to put down some cash for something nice!

I highly recommend a Franchi Affinity 20g with a 26” barrel. Light, fast, and a great value IMO. 

I have 2 20’s:  one that is my go-to upland gun and one that is a dedicated turkey gun. 

Same technology as a benelli for 60% of the cost.

Just picked up a 20 O/U ....American Tactical ... Very light... Choke tubes... Really nice Turkish wood furniture.
Gun swings really nice... This weekend will be the first outing with it.
All the online reviews of this gun are really good... For $450 it's a pretty good value.

Sent from my VS996 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

641911_ts.jpg

I'm still undecided on getting and auto or O/U. Just keep going back and forth. It's going to be strictly for upland so I'm leaning towards an O/U for weight and easy of carrying. But man there are a couple auto's I've fallen in love with!

U/O my pick, in all the grouse hunting I have done using Grman shorthairs, never once has there been a chance for more that 2 shots, there long gone by then. For water birds it's another story where your sitting still so the heavier gun is not a big deal. I haven't hunted water birds in decades but last I knew 3 shot gun was all your allowed were the U/O would still be a good use. 

20G Browning Citori, 3" mag, 27"

Around here where there’s one grouse there’s usually more. Definitely not uncommon to empty a 3 round tube. I hunt with a Remington model 1100 in 28 ga. I grew up with them and it’s like a part of my body at this point. I just shoot it well. Don’t know your experience level but I definitely prefer the people I hunt with to have over under if there novice hunters. Safer for me and my dog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey, finally a topic I can contribute to.

I hunted pheasants in Nebraska and South Dakota for 35 yrs. 

Guns (all 12 gauges with no. 5 shot);

started with a Remington 1100 - too  heavy

Ithaca M87 - I wasn't coordinated enough to pump the next shell into the chamber.

Franchi semi auto - light, but jammed all the time

Settled on a Beretta AL390 semi-auto with screw-in chokes. Very reliable. I still have it and use it occasionally for pheasant hunting in NY.

Hardly ever saw an over and under in the field.

Dogs;

springer spaniel - couldn't keep up with him (wild birds prefer to run)

Brittanys - too much hair. Too short in tall grass.

German Shorthairs - there is nothing like hunting over a pointer. Perfect height. White color help find them when on point in tall grass.

Join NAVHDA and train your dog to whoa. Use a shock collar with beeper modes.

Hope this helps

• 1 month later...

I have had one for several years and am very happy with it. Not afraid to carry through brush and brambles and worry about scratching it up like on a high dollar gun. Has extractors, not ejectors, but not an issue for me. Neve r had any issues with it. At least before buying it, see if you can find one to see if it fits, and swing it.

i have a few A400s and love them.  I have a light model that I use for bird hunting.  checkout the Ultralight model that is out now.  probably comparable to mine.  Basically nil on recoil and a pleasure to carry chasing birds. That upland version looks sweet.  i don’t have that one!

Edited by Miss em