Running a Gen 3 HDS with Autopilot in the wheelhouse with a GEN 2 HDS unit in back of boat?

chowder

Last year I had contemplated the idea of 'cloning'  my HDS gen3 display thats in the wheelhouse of my larger Crestliner with a iPad untill it was pointed out to me by another LOU member that the AP functions were not amoung those that can be controlled by a cloned iPad. So, now I'm wondering if I can network the HDS gen3 in the wheelhouse to a HDS gen2 unit I could make available from my outboard Crestliner. Does anybody know if a HDS gen2 can network with a HDS gen3 to the extent it could run the Lowrance AP from the back of the boat? 

Yes it can be done between a 3 and a 2 by nmea 2000 and if you want to share more you will need a ethernet cable. 
The problem is if you want to use more then 1 transducer and share those between the 2 units. 
But if you can fine a Gen3 it will makes things smoother. Gen2 are quite old and you can find some good deals on Gen3

Edited by wallyandre

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/6/2022 at 5:02 PM, wallyandre said:

Yes it can be done between a 3 and a 2 by nmea 2000 and if you want to share more you will need a ethernet cable. 
The problem is if you want to use more then 1 transducer and share those between the 2 units. 
But if you can fine a Gen3 it will makes things smoother. Gen2 are quite old and you can find some good deals on Gen3

Yes. As it turns out you were right about HDS Gen 3 prices. I found a lightly used HDS Gen 3 9" that came with a total scan transducer (not sure what I'm going to do with that yet). So, my plan now is to leave the HDS Gen 2 9" with the outboard crestliner . The gen 3 9" I will link to the big Gen 3 unit in the wheelhouse of the hardtop crestliner will be connected via ethernet and nmea 2000. The big HDS in the wheelhouse is linked to the autopliot unit and a Airmar TM-260, so I was planning to share that transducer with this new to me HDS 9" in the back of the boat. Since the other component of all this is the addition of a Garmin PanOptix Live setup side by side with the Lowrance HDS, I'm not thinking past the issues I might encounter with TM-260 and the Garmin PS30 sending pulses simultaneously to 2 separate screens (Iam hoping that a huge difference in the frequency of the 2 different transducers will minimize problems)