Help about running double dipsys!

Asking for some help/advice, 

I own a 21ft trophy, i currently run 1 wire dipsy off each side of the boat. I have traxstech 6inch track mount with rod holder for each dipsy. I am looking into running 2 dipsy's off each side of the boat. I was waiting for the Niagara Falls show to ask them these questions but now that it's cancelled I am reaching out to you guys for help. How far apart should I have each rod apart from each other, i currently run a 9ft okuma glt rod, should my other rod be longer than that going up to a 10ft or you recommend going with a shorter rod about 8ft. Not sure if i should buy another 6inch track for the mount or just buy maybe a 18inch or 24inch track mount to house both of the dipsy mounts on each side of the boat. Any help i would greatly appreciate!

I use a 9’6” rod and a mag diver on a 1 setting for the inside that will be your low or deepest running rod. Then a 10’6” with a standard diver on the outside with a 2.5 or 3 setting for your high diver.  I do know some guys use standard divers for both. Set your inside diver first followed by the outside one. So your shorter rod will be closest to the back of the boat. Current plays a factor on if I do this or not. If the currents are crazy I tend to run with just 1 per side.  I have maybe a 1’ gap between  the rod holders I use for my divers. There’s also a bunch of Youtube videos on the topic as well. 

I would by at least a 24 inch track and fit the biggest track that will fit on each side. Today length depends on your boat we can run 3 a side and I run a 7 8 8.5 from back to front on a 1 2 3 setting. 1 ft apart is pretty good spacing and watch the rod tips they should look the same otherwise something may be fouled. Also an extra rod holder or 2 each side help move rods when needed.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I only ran 2x dipsies per side for 1 season but I learned a few things the hard way... Sigh. I have 10.5 and 8.5 ft wire dipsies and 10.5 and 9.5 braid dipsies for early in the season. In addition to the above, depending on where and the depth you are targeting, you need to watch the current, and the dipsies will tell you what it is. So when I am running 2x dipsies per side on Lake O, I deploy the outer dipsies first (size 1) on the settings 3-3.5. Then I look at the deployed dipsies and try to read the current and if one of the deployed dipsies is tilting too much towards the middle of the boat, I may choose not to deploy the 2nd dipsy but rather opt out for a sinking line on a planer; I am a little scared they will tangle (re: learning things the hard way) especially if you are running riggers as well or if the fish bites the inner dipsy or a rigger and the outer dipsies are right above it. This is not a big issue when we are fishing deep however.

So if the deployed dipsies are far enough to my "not-very-experienced angler's satisfaction" to the respective sides of the boat, then I deploy the inner one (magnum) then on settings 2 or higher. The deeper we target and higher the setting. For example, for 100+ft deep I would put both dipsies on settings 3, outer wire 350-400ft out and inner wire 200-250 out. Make long turns, watch the dipsies, read the currents, and make adjustments accordingly. This is also true in very general context, not just for dipsies, i.e. the fishing situation evolves/changes and you need to adjust your spread accordingly.

The current is a very good point. Often we have to adjust our troll or go the complete opposite of what we were planning to play with the current otherwise your baits arent going to be running right and a dipsy will be easy to tell

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I would say the best setup is a 10ft rod behind (closer to bow) an 8 ft rod (closer to stern) ... but that is not necessary. I wouldn't bother changing your 9 foot rods, but if you can get 10 ft for the back, that would be good.  As others say, space them at least 24" apart on the gunwale.

You want the dispey off the bow rod (10') to be running higher in the water, and farther from the boat. So typically we go 3 setting on the dipsey, and use a regular ... never a mag on this rod.  For the rod closer to the stern, we would set on 1, and use either a regular or a mag diver (bigger disk).  The reason you want this is when a dipsey pops with a fish bite, it will always RISE and move to the CENTER of the boat.  So the outside line has to be higher, so it goes over the inside line (rod closer to stern), and not tangle up the lines.

If you have the choice, deploy the outside lines first (bow rods), then the inside rods (stern rod) ... reason is, as you deploy, you're not allowing the dipsey to bite in the water ... so it has a tendency to dive deeper (think of it like it's sinking in stagnant water), and it doesn't pull to the side as much. Only once you lock the bail, will you get it to bite into the water and start pulling up and to the side.  So, if you deploy the outside line (bow rod) say after the inside line ... you could get tangles. Now some of us got real good at this, and have no issues getting an outside line out while the inside line is already deployed. The trick is to let that dipsey out SLOW ... so it does bite a bit into the water and moves to the side (on 3 setting).

• Like 1

I recall there being a few threads that discuss this topic in even more depth than the excellent suggestions here. Take a quick search and I bet you can find them. We use 8' and 9.5' rods as suggested, short inside deep run toward the stern with rod holders 18" apart on the gunnel. #1 and #3 settings. Don't mix wire and brain or mono. Let things out slowly, avoid gnarly current days. 

We run double dipseys most days unless current is challenging. Here are a couple pics of which holders we put them in. 

The holders circled In red are where we put rods. You can also see them deployed in the one pic. Excuse the pic of my wife, just happens to be the only pic I have of rods out. Like others said, set on 1 and 3. I also tip the inside rod up one click on the holder, not sure if that’s right or not but works for us. 

330833AB-AB1A-4CB8-AF14-685C5FC7279F.jpeg

8EB97FDC-724A-40CC-B4BB-4543F8CB0290.jpeg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Totally Hooked said:

We run double dipseys most days unless current is challenging. Here are a couple pics of which holders we put them in. 

The holders circled In red are where we put rods. You can also see them deployed in the one pic. Excuse the pic of my wife, just happens to be the only pic I have of rods out. Like others said, set on 1 and 3. I also tip the inside rod up one click on the holder, not sure if that’s right or not but works for us. 

330833AB-AB1A-4CB8-AF14-685C5FC7279F.jpeg

8EB97FDC-724A-40CC-B4BB-4543F8CB0290.jpeg

What size rod lengths are you running? The set up you have behind your wife is something i am looking at running, thanks!

8’6” or 9’ inside deep dipsy

10’ White Diamond outside 

We have also ran pairs of Okuma Classic Pro GLT 9’ rods in that setup and have had very few problems. 

Like others have said, current can make it difficult but most days it is fine.  I would say 90% of the time we run doubles. 

One thing is for sure, when things go wrong and you get a couple Spin Doctors together, you will be asking yourself how the hell they get tied in knots like they do. Boatswains Mates can’t tie knots like that. It’s a mess. 

I walleye fish 80% of the time so I’ll just be pulling worm harnesses off the dipsys. But I figured to keep it simple just run spoons off of them for salmon to prevent tangles from occurring. Thinking of running 9ft joins glt outer and getting 8ft okuma glt for inner rods 

Rods spacing on the gunnel - IMHNO I think that the rods should be spaced just enough so that if the inner rod has a fish and the dipsy goes off, it won't snap at the outer rod while bouncing after the dipsy release. So on the smaller boats like mine I have the outer (longer) rod flush and the inner (shorter) a little higher. The actual spacing, whether 12, 18 or 24 inch does not matter.

Dont run two spin drs/attractors on one side they are more likely to wander especially on turns so 2 on one side increase likely hood of a tangle I run an 8.5' inside and a 10' outside the longer rod also has less flex helps keeps things separated I have both rod holders in an 18 inch track. These days most of my tangles are caused by fish near the back of boat deciding to do a lap around them

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

14 hours ago, ifishy said:

Dont run two spin drs/attractors on one side they are more likely to wander especially on turns so 2 on one side increase likely hood of a tangle I run an 8.5' inside and a 10' outside the longer rod also has less flex helps keeps things separated I have both rod holders in an 18 inch track. These days most of my tangles are caused by fish near the back of boat deciding to do a lap around them

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

We run two spin doctors per side all the time ... very few tangles if you take care of a few things. Watch the turns, and deployment of the outside rod correctly, often reduces chances of tangles.

2 hours ago, TyeeTanic said:

We run two spin doctors per side all the time ... very few tangles if you take care of a few things. Watch the turns, and deployment of the outside rod correctly, often reduces chances of tangles.

We do as well.  Have run spoons/ flashers / paddles with meat interchangeably on the the same side.  i like to deploy inside rod very slow to make sure its diving.  outside rod gets deployed faster, letting it get some room behind the back of the boat and stay higher in the water column before it starts to dive down and out.

I'll offer up a different suggestion: run two Dipseys and then run lead off the boards. A five color and a 10 color along with two dipseys should never get tangled and you can deploy them without worrying about them running into each other.  This also makes your spread longer and wider so you're fishing a bigger box of water.  As you get better you can add more lead lines into the spread.

Running two Dipseys off of one side sounds good until you get a screamer on and then you can have a mess, and lose a lot of gear. 

Others may have different opinions but that's how we do it and it rarely results in problems. 

Chuck