Lakeshore pond west Ice fishing reports

BobM

Hello All. I have been away for a while, health reasons and recently moving to new area. Closer to lake and ponds now. So..... I took a little drive past all both ponds and Braddocks this afternoon. Still a little open water on both ponds, no one out and saw 1 tent on Braddocks bay in about 3 feet of water away from shore.  Going to get super cold for a few days so I would think the ice would be firming up. I'll check when I can. Has anyone heard if it is worth trying for perch this year. The lake waters are higher so I hope the fish can get in now. The barriers at Cranberry parking lot have been removed.....Easier to get out there now.  Thanks, I'll be around .......Bob

I fished braddocks. That might have been me you seen. 15 perch 9+.... 30+ dinks.....1 pike 22" or so. Could barely walk on cranbo in a few spots so not sure if the perch are in there. It's not the water level that screwed up the ponds. When the lake levels were high the other year they used machines to block off the channel to keep the water from flooding into the ponds. That's been removed and I'd bet there are perch making there way in there but I don't know for sure.

Great to hear from you!. Let me ask....how thick was the ice at Braddocks? Sounds like you had fun....lots of action. What was your bait of choice for the Perch? Jigging? Thats what I usually do using mouses. I may get out over there soon. Have to watch weather.....No shelter here. Thanks, Bob.

Ice was 4". It was the best I've ever done at braddocks. Switched jigs and spoons in every color tipped with waxies or perch eyes. Only 5 on the jig rod. All the other perch and all the jumbos came on tipdowns with fatheads. Tipdowns are deadly on the ponds and I'll out fish almost anyone who don't run them. Mine are homemade.

Thanks for the info. I drove by the ponds yesterday. Saw 2 tents on long pond, about 10 on cranberry and lots of folks at braddocks bay.Was only 1 parking spot left too. Very popular spot. Too cold and windy for me though.No shelter here.

The Heavier the snow, the more weight is on the ice. I think we will be ok with this storm cuz the 30'35mph winds may blow a lot of it off. The ice has had a chance to firm up nice too. I would still be careful and drill a test hole or to as you embark onto the ice.  The snow is supposed to be a drier snow.....below freezing temps.....more fluffy. Still,just be careful.

.....Anyone know if Stewies near Cranberry pond is still open. It looked all closed up the other day....midday.

Lot's of snow just makes it more difficult to fish all around. Good advice from all.....just be careful. Don't want to see anyone on the news cast with the fireman having to pull anyone out. Use good judgement. A few fish aren't worth your life. Be carefull.......