Kicker for Stanley Mink DC (18ft welded aluminum)

Mink DC

Hi all,

Am wondering if anyone has some thoughts on a kicker for a Stanley Mink Dual Console (18ft welded aluminum).

Got some great information more generally from Kuba's "How big of a kicker" topic.

Anything more specific on Stanley boats would be much appreciated. Really want to put a kicker on (for low trolling speeds, and as a back up limp home motor) but am getting friction from some sources on the wisdom of the idea.

If you have experience with a kicker on any 18ft aluminum boat, would be interested in that too.

Cheers

1 minute ago, Mink DC said:

Hi all,

Am wondering if anyone has some thoughts on a kicker for a Stanley Mink Dual Console (18ft welded aluminum).

Got some great information more generally from Kuba's "How big of a kicker" topic.

Anything more specific on Stanley boats would be much appreciated. Really want to put a kicker on (for low trolling speeds, and as a back up limp home motor) but am getting friction from some sources on the wisdom of the idea.

If you have experience with a kicker on any 18ft aluminum boat, would be interested in that too.

Cheers

9.9 Yamaha

Mink DC, I don’t think you will find much direct info on Stanley Boats on this site as most of the guys are from US side of the lake.  When you say that Stanley and it’s dealer aren’t “keen” on the idea, I guess I’d question why?  You might try some Canadian sights to connect with other Stanley owners.  Maybe a Facebook owners group?

1 hour ago, mr 580 said:

Mink DC, I don’t think you will find much direct info on Stanley Boats on this site as most of the guys are from US side of the lake.  When you say that Stanley and it’s dealer aren’t “keen” on the idea, I guess I’d question why?  You might try some Canadian sights to connect with other Stanley owners.  Maybe a Facebook owners group?

Thanks for the heads up. I will try those other sources. I reckon the manufacturer and dealer are concerned about legal liability from approving alterations from the original boat (mounting bracket, for example). 

Kicker Suggestions

Have your main motor and your kicker both use the same gas line connections so if you have bad gas in one tank you still can get home.  Ask me how I know!

Can you hang your kicker on the Stanley transom next to your main power plant? I do this with my 17’ Lund.

There are transom mounts made for four stroke kickers.

Consider attaching hydro fins to your main power plant to assist you getting out of the hole. The fins help offset your kickers weight. 

Canadian gas quality can be very poor. An inline gas line water separator mounted before the main engine is used all the time around here.

My kicker (Honda 8 hp ) also charges/maintains my main cranking battery.

A circuit block is also a good idea - safe,  to connect your accessaries with individual fuses.

Good Luck