School Me on Auto-Pilot Set-Ups

VanderLaan

I have a 19 foot walk-through with a 150 and a 9.9 kicker. Have been trolling with the kicker pushing and the bow-mount trolling motor steering. Was contemplating upgrading to auto-pilot after talking to a guy at the cleaning station last fall but realize that I know nothing about it.  Pros and cons? Who makes a good system? Cost? Installation issues? Can I run it with my GPS?  If there is a thread that covers all this, please let me know. Don't want to waste anyone's time.  

38 minutes ago, VanderLaan said:

I have a 19 foot walk-through with a 150 and a 9.9 kicker. Have been trolling with the kicker pushing and the bow-mount trolling motor steering. Was contemplating upgrading to auto-pilot after talking to a guy at the cleaning station last fall but realize that I know nothing about it.  Pros and cons? Who makes a good system? Cost? Installation issues? Can I run it with my GPS?  If there is a thread that covers all this, please let me know. Don't want to waste anyone's time.  

I have the same setup as you.  I have a Fishmaster 196 and 72" Terrova in the front.  I contemplated an actual autopilot but stuck with my setup for now.  Unit cost, uncertain install and how well it will work on a light aluminum boat (vs what I have) have kept me at bay.  I have thought about taking it to someone but that has its logistics hoops.  @Yankee Trollermight have some comments with the work he does with Krenzer Marine.

7 hours ago, VanderLaan said:

Do you know what kind of steering you have? If you have hydraulic there are many options.

Garmin makes an AP unit just for your kicker motor. Its called the reactor 40, I have the previous version called TR-1 and have no complaints. It was a very simple install, I did it myself in 2-3hrs. Works great and was relatively cheap (~$1200). The new reactor 40 is a full electric setup where the older TR-1 was hydraulic. The 40 can be connected to a GPS unit or be purchased with a standalone headunit. 

3 hours ago, Yankee Troller said:

Do you know what kind of steering you have? If you have hydraulic there are many options.

I am not sure. Second owner of the boat. Paperwork/on-line info says "dual cable rack and pinion". What is the best, easiest way to confirm that determination? Boat is a 2011 Tracker Targa V-18 WT

Edited by VanderLaan

9 hours ago, Fat Trout said:

I contemplated an actual autopilot but stuck with my setup for now.  Unit cost, uncertain install and how well it will work on a light aluminum boat (vs what I have) have kept me at bay.

Truth. The remote works ok, but seems to lose its bearing on occasion. Happened once last year in some wind and chop. Ended up spinning the boat in a circle before I knew what was happening. Lots of fun untangling a six rod spread in those conditions. Left me doubting it's long-term viability and searching for something better.

41 minutes ago, FishingFool34 said:

Garmin makes an AP unit just for your kicker motor. Its called the reactor 40, I have the previous version called TR-1 and have no complaints. It was a very simple install, I did it myself in 2-3hrs. Works great and was relatively cheap (~$1200). The new reactor 40 is a full electric setup where the older TR-1 was hydraulic. The 40 can be connected to a GPS unit or be purchased with a standalone headunit. 

Thanks. I will check it out.

20 minutes ago, VanderLaan said:

I am not sure. Second owner of the boat. Paperwork/on-line info says "dual cable rack and pinion". What is the best, easiest way to confirm that determination? Boat is a 2011 Tracker Targa V-18 WT

You just figured it out right there... you have full cable steering.

1 minute ago, FishingFool34 said:

You just figured it out right there... you have full cable steering.

You are most likely correct.  Thinking I should confirm that before I go too far down this road. Don't really trust BPS and I am the second owner. Would be good knowledge to have too.

4 minutes ago, VanderLaan said:

You are most likely correct.  Thinking I should confirm that before I go too far down this road. Don't really trust BPS and I am the second owner. Would be good knowledge to have too.

Unless the previous owner upgraded the steering, cable sounds right for a 2011 with an outboard. Quick look under the dash will confirm it. You would likely already know if it was hydraulic steering, its a decently expensive upgrade and would likely be a selling point of the boat the previous owner would have almost certainly mentioned.

Edited by FishingFool34

Besides the steering, what you have for electronics is the next question.  Some units will support AP which saves some dash space vs a stand alone AP.  Hydraulic steering pretty basic as you tee into lines.  Cable steer as mentioned not as many choices.

2 hours ago, VanderLaan said:

So there are options:

First would be a mechanical AP unit. Cheapest is probably Si-Tex and most expensive would be Garmin. We've installed both. With Rack and pinion steering you will need a new steering cable. These use a drive that replaces your current helm. You'd tie the engines together with a tiebar. The nice thing with this set-up is both engines can utilize the AP.

Second option is to put an electric AP on your kicker. Garmin makes a nice one. With this solution the kicker is the only engine with AP.

As mentioned, with cable steering the choices are limited, but that said if I had to troll without an autopilot I'd probably give it up. It makes that big a difference. Probably puts more fish in the boat than any other piece of gear. 

My $.02, YMMV.

CHuck

• Like 1

11 hours ago, VanderLaan said:

Truth. The remote works ok, but seems to lose its bearing on occasion. Happened once last year in some wind and chop. Ended up spinning the boat in a circle before I knew what was happening. Lots of fun untangling a six rod spread in those conditions. Left me doubting it's long-term viability and searching for something better.

Yeah when it gets too choppy I can't use TM autopilot going into it for sure

9 hours ago, Yankee Troller said:

No problem I sell and install all of these options. Let me know if you want some prices.

Not to hijack the thread but I'd be interested in options you could quote installed.  I have hydraulic steering on a 2018 Fishmaster 196.  150 main, 9.9 kicker and tie bar connect from main to kicker.   I'll send you a PM.