Humminbird transducer and cone angle

Cody191

Ok so I’ve been pulling my hair out trying to figure out exactly what the cone angles of my transducer are. Humminbird site is full of contradictions and talked to their support and they were ZERO help. I run a solix 10 with the stock xm 14 hw msi t transducer. I use this a lot for inland lakes and am happy with it. This year I added a second solix CHO and after reading a lot on the forum I thought I was going to put a p66 on that one for big water trolling.

I thought before I spend that money it would be nice to know the angles of my current transducer. It has narrow, wide and full options to chirp and those are the ones I’d like to know the beam angle of. Humminbird support was not sure but thought maybe it was narrow=20deg, full= 42deg and wide=60 deg.

Chirp frequencies for these are 180-240, 150-220 and 140-200.

If this is actually true, wouldn’t a p66 be a waste of money is I already have a similar or wider cone angle on full and wide modes? Also wouldn’t it be better separation and target resolution with the higher frequencies?

Thanks for the help, I’ve made my winter goal to become much more proficient with my electronics and it’s hard when you don’t know what you got.

Transducer snapshot

Solix snapshot

Transducer link

https://humminbird.johnsonoutdoors.com/accessories/transducers/xm-14-hw-msi-t-solix-mega-si-di-dual-spectrum-chirp-w-temp-transom

Solix link

https://humminbird.johnsonoutdoors.com/fish-finders/solix/solix-10-chirp-mega-si-g3

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkIMG_2365.pngIMG_2364.png

• Like 1

All Humminbird units now come with dual spectrum CHIRP transducers or a High Wide CHIRP frequency. You have to remember these units are made for in-land lakes (Bass/Walleye/Panfish fishing). CHIRP is not desirable for trolling applications in my opinion, but it is when bottom fishing or jigging. Typically CHIRP offers smaller cone angles, prettier pictures, and better target separation. Any Humminbirds I sell to Great Lakes trollers I suggest going with one of the following Airmar transducers - B60, B45, P66. These transducers offer a 45* (50khz) cone and a 19* (200khz) cone. We use the 50 for fishing and the 200 for running out in the morning looking for bait and fish.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask here or PM me. I am one of the largest dealers/installers on Lake Ontario. I've run most Humminbirds on my charter boats for 15yrs+.

• Like 2

Ahh, I was hoping you’d see this. Are you able to confirm the beam angle for those 3 chirp ranges?
I will probably call you to order a new transducer anyway but this is for my own knowledge. I don’t understand why chirp would be bad unless you are sacrificing beam angle but according to humminbird I could potentially have more angle than a p66 and chirp should give better detail especially in the higher frequency ranges right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Cody191 said:

Ahh, I was hoping you’d see this. Are you able to confirm the beam angle for those 3 chirp ranges?
I will probably call you to order a new transducer anyway but this is for my own knowledge. I don’t understand why chirp would be bad unless you are sacrificing beam angle but according to humminbird I could potentially have more angle than a p66 and chirp should give better detail especially in the higher frequency ranges right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not "bad" technology. Generally, you sacrifice cone angle when using CHIRP. Airmar's best CHIRP cone is 30* on a transom mount transducer. Yes, with higher frequencies you get better detail, but nothing beats my 50khz for trolling.

• Like 1