Taughannock Launch Status?

Is the bubbler functioning? I was there last Thursday and it wasn't working. We did manage to make it out (thanks to the guys ahead of me that did the ice breaking!), but I'd assume without the bubbler the last few days it would be iced in.

Thanks for any info.

I'm afraid with temps in the single digits from now into Saturday that Dean's will be iced up solid for a while.  Hoping we can get some Intel on Taughannock as if the bubbler is on it will be useable with a little work breaking the ice by the dock.  

All taken care of. It’ll be fine. If it does lock back up, nothing that an ice spud can’t handle.  

579A1A5F-0854-49C4-94DD-02CB4537C459.jpeg

• Like 1

I've forced my way into T-falls/Cayuga, Lewiston/Niagara River and Bear Creek/Lake Ontario more times than I can count. Finally got a little smarter about transducer casualties and Hank Searles (L&M) installed a sliding transducer mount on the outboard Crestliner last January. It's a pretty slick way of getting transducers out of harm's way when launching thru ice.

5 hours ago, Reel Doc said:

Very nice.  I didn't know you had your own backhoe!!  :happy2:

Lol. Ya I thanked the state park workers with the backhoe knowing it would make light of my morning ice chopping duties. Locked up pretty good overnight, we chopped ice for 45 minutes but well worth it. Salmon and browns were hungry. Finally left the launch at 7:45am. 9 rod spread kept us hoppin. Nothing big but some quick action. Off the water just before noon. Tying more flies this afternoon, found a hot color combo. Good luck if you get out!

62D47122-604B-465B-8827-8F16CF8B102C.jpeg

81263972-7EF8-4B19-B8D8-86895F855D65.jpeg

• Like 3

On 1/23/2022 at 5:03 AM, Doc said:

All taken care of. It’ll be fine. If it does lock back up, nothing that an ice spud can’t handle.  

579A1A5F-0854-49C4-94DD-02CB4537C459.jpeg

Your funny looking yellow boat doesn’t have any riggers or rod holders??

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gill-T said:

What do you guys do to remove the ice from your boat decks and rod guides?

Not usually a huge problem. usually try to do days >30 but even on the real cold ones the lines are usually moving enough in the guides when trolling so that's not a big issue. Not stepping on ice that's formed on deck usually a good idea but have never had much in any critical spot. Very important to drain motors and give a quick start/shutoff. Personally, I keep a bilge pump with leads and hose in a gym bag, stays in house between trips, and never leave tackle, or gear wet and exposed after a trip. Frankly, I think trailering creates more challenges than fishing in the winter

6 hours ago, chowder said:

Not usually a huge problem. usually try to do days >30 but even on the real cold ones the lines are usually moving enough in the guides when trolling so that's not a big issue. Not stepping on ice that's formed on deck usually a good idea but have never had much in any critical spot. Very important to drain motors and give a quick start/shutoff. Personally, I keep a bilge pump with leads and hose in a gym bag, stays in house between trips, and never leave tackle, or gear wet and exposed after a trip. Frankly, I think trailering creates more challenges than fishing in the winter

Ditto on making sure water is out by starting it quickly. Heated garage helps too. Rod guides usually not an issue. One thing to remember is set the clips on the releases light. I hadn’t been on the water in 3 weeks and got excited and ahead of myself and clipped all the lines on where I normally would in warmer temps and forgot about the icing that occurs on the release clips. Learned lesson yesterday when the #3 rod (center rod) of the 5 rods on the starboard side takes the first hit 5 minutes after getting that side set. Yep, froze, wouldn’t release, had to clear rods 4&5 before bringing that fish in. Luckily, the line still pulled through the frozen release clip and took drag. Mistake was not made again. Sometimes icing occurs on the planer board line as well and clips struggle to slide down line. A little finesse by bouncing it down the board line helps. If ice gets too think, I’ve had to reel board in while stripping ice off. 

• 3 weeks later...