Charter Captain recommendation for Tarpon Fishing around Bradenton, Sarasota, Venice FL area?

BlueEye

Hi guys -

Wondering if anyone had any recommendations for charter captains for tarpon fishing or inlet mangrove fishing around Bradenton, Sarasota, Venice FL area?  Might be down there later this year visiting some friends (picture below from their backyard last week... haha).  Feb - Apr timeframe - better or worse for any species that time of year?  I have zero experience or knowledge but thought it would be fun. 

3D9196AD-D3D9-4401-A774-74E921808321.jpg

Thanks -

Chad

My father wintered in Venice for about 10 years . I fished the Jetties , particularly the North Jetty . It was good fishing for the most part . Got Snook , Sheepshead , Mackerel ,Snapper , Jack's , Sheepshead , etc. 

Shrimp under a float was the best with shrimp on a 1/4  or 3/8 jig second . tide timing was important .

It was fun . 

I believe the Tarpon migrate south during winter and make there way back up to the Tampa area July . 

My brother is in Naples and we fished for them mid May . I lost a small one . Had him on for a second . He jumped and I forgot to bow to the king.  Saw some monsters cruising the shallows at the Marco pass . 

• Thanks 1

On 1/30/2022 at 2:46 PM, BlueEye said:

Hi guys -

Wondering if anyone had any recommendations for charter captains for tarpon fishing or inlet mangrove fishing around Bradenton, Sarasota, Venice FL area?  Might be down there later this year visiting some friends (picture below from their backyard last week... haha).  Feb - Apr timeframe - better or worse for any species that time of year?  I have zero experience or knowledge but thought it would be fun. 

3D9196AD-D3D9-4401-A774-74E921808321.jpg

Thanks -

Chad

Heard back from my buddy and unfortunately he's about 1/2 hr south of Venise and doesn't know anybody up there.

• Thanks 1

Don't know about charters but there's a manatee viewing area just north of Apollo Beach that might be an interesting destination for a day trip. The manatee come in out of the cold bay to warm up in the discharge from the power plant. 

We just got back from that area and saw not only lots of manatee up close and personal but also a fair number of tarpon running 2-3 feet to 5-6 feet. They like the warm water too and don't seem to be scared off by the deck full of people. 

There is an extensive and very well kept trail system at the site, a remote observation tower overlooking the bay, a food stand with fair prices! and a jetty to walk out toward the bay.

The Florida Aquarium has a sea turtle rehab center within walking distance and the whole package is worth the time to go experience!

I thought the new 1100 foot long, 12 foot wide Trex walkway over the salt flat leading to the observation tower alone was worth the trip!

Your friends would know about it and how to get there!