Lake Erie

skinny420

Was out near buffalo so decided to check some ice out there. It's looked good for a few days at least. Walked out quite a ways with my spud bar and auger. Had no poles or flasher so don't know what's out there. Walked out to 35' range off Woodlawn area. Mile + out there. Ice was 6-8" + all the way out. Could have went farther but no poles so no point in walking the extra for me. Next trip out I'll have my gear. Got reports of 4-6" off Hamburg beach 1 mile out and 3-4" off evangola 1/2 mile out. I walked around a few spots that looked sketchy but mostly glare ice the whole lake as far as I could see. Don't go out there if your not sure but it's looking good for those willing to poke there way out there. Hope this snow don't cover it or it blows off. Unless mother nature ruins my plans I'll be out there this weekend.

Had a friend out there yesterday. He assured me it's game time this weekend. Everyone be safe and take precautions but the ice is out there if you're cautious and be safe. Im only posting this here. I don't tell Facebook or most people but I like this community here and believe we are a family of true sportsman and your tips have brought me great success on the lake. Hope anyone looking to scratch off a bucket list goal gets out there and returns with many fish. Good luck out there and be safe!

• Like 1

I was talking with guys icefishing at SBH today and there was some mention of some guys on wheelers who got cut off out on the ice by Sturgeon point. Anybody know anything about that? I am hoping to make a go of it Friday.

Earlier this afternoon, Station was alerted to an ice floe that broke free stranding 7 people West of Catawaba Island. Station launched an airboat and ice rescue crew in conjunction with Catawba Island Volunteer Fire Department and US Coast Guard Air Station Detroit to rescue the stranded individuals. Please exercise extreme caution as the winds out of the South are causing areas of ice to break free. If you are headed onto the ice ensure you are prepared and monitor the weather closely. Remember no ice is safe ice. #IceRescue