Are they dangerous?

Neo1945

https://www.siamtoo.com/18418/?fbclid=IwAR3s2iswwuHKSEczAxEJKG2MVKibWN7tT9d8kzYhlB3yF2rWifbVu_q_jlw

Are they dangerous?

Lampreys are extremely dangerous as a single lamprey can kill more than 40 lb of fish which poses a serious threat to the fishing industry. The destructive nature of the lampreys is so high in magnitude, which can be understood by the fact that only one out of seven fishes can survive if they are ever attacked by a lamprey. Lampreys are, however, unlikely to attack humans and are mainly a threat to other fish.

bas-1-9.png

I let them suck onto my arm. My buddies wife was going over the side when I yelled “it’s got me “. We caught her just in time. Seriously, the blood and slime are toxic to humans. Wash your hands after handling / cutting them into little chunks   I’ve heard of people eating them. No thanks 

2 hours ago, whaler1 said:

Tastes like lake trout but fight better

So do they taste like sticky slime?

I think I would like gamblers opinion on the subject

Edited by rolmops

5 hours ago, rolmops said:

So do they taste like sticky slime?

I think I would like gamblers opinion on the subject

I don't eat lakers.  All the big ones we weigh in the LOC get given away to people that eat them.  One person I give them to boils them for cat food.  As for lamprey fighting better than lakers, Billy is dreaming!  Catch a 34lb laker see what you think of lakers not fighting!

There was a comment on slimers that accidentally was placed in a different thread. Here it is:

srd

• Home Port
    Fair Haven
  • Boat Name
    Anchor Management
LOU_pro.png.3b4917aa153a9deeb90a52ae73425a32.png

I read a piece one time that in another country don't remember which country it was but they make pies and cakes from them.

7 minutes ago, rolmops said:

There was a comment on slimers that accidentally was placed in a different thread. Here it is:

srd

• Home Port
    Fair Haven
  • Boat Name
    Anchor Management
LOU_pro.png.3b4917aa153a9deeb90a52ae73425a32.png

I read a piece one time that in another country don't remember which country it was but they make pies and cakes from them.

Queen Elizabeth To Eat Lamprey Pie Made From Great Lakes Fish

By 
David Moye
04/27/2012 02:54pm EDT | Updated June 1, 2012

The country you think about is England.

There is some dukedom there that as a tribute has to supply the crown with 2 stones weight of lamprey as a tribute once a year. (A stone is the weight of a balistra stone-12 pounds).

I recall asking fishermen on here to keep lamprey for us to clone a particular types of channel from their blood cells - which unlike mammals are nucleated and contain genetic material. It was actually a success, though the project didn't go anywhere. 

Here's a nice rainbow that apparently I saved by catching it. It had a nasty passenger attached, that decided to let go when it realized it wasn't in the water any longer. I wasn't aware I was supposed to destroy it, so, it was released the same time the rainbow was!

:-)

2310148703194322291.jpg

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

When I was growing up near Millport NY in the 1960s my friends and I would get old axe handles and drive a 6 inch spike in the head-end of handle and walk the banks Catherine Creek during the summer killing lampreys by whacking them with the spike.  We would throw the carcasses up on the bank so the skunks and raccoons could eat them.  We killed hundreds each summer, but wasn’t until the DEC found a chemical treatment to kill them in the larvae stage.  For years we did not see them during the spring rainbow runs, but now they are back with a vengeance.  I have not caught a single trout in Catherine Creek or Seneca Lake in the last ten years that didn’t have either a lamprey sore or an actual lamprey attached.  The DEC finally announce last fall they finally started treating the Seneca Lake Tributaries with chemicals to kill the larvae again.  

Here is the DEC article from their Jan 7, 2022 Recap of 2021 DEC Projects:

10. Lampricide treatment on Seneca LakeThe fishery in Seneca Lake should benefit from sea lamprey control activities on two of its tributaries during the past year. In June, a total of 31 staff from across the state and including partners from US Fish and Wildlife Service Lake Champlain Sea Lamprey Control Team from Vermont (USFWS) treated approximately 11.5 miles of Catharine Creek and three miles of Keuka Outlet. The streams were treated with a lampricide that specifically targets sea lamprey and focuses on larval sea lamprey that typically spend three years but can live up to 10+ years in stream sediments. Treatments were conducted to reduce the population of the parasitic adult phase of sea lamprey in Seneca Lake. Studies on the Great Lakes have shown that one adult lamprey can result in the loss of up to 40 pounds of fish, which in Seneca Lake would consist of primarily trout and salmon. In addition to the June treatments, a different lampricide was applied in October to the Catharine Creek canal from Montour Falls to the mouth of the lake to treat larval lamprey that were likely not affected by the earlier treatments. A specially designed application boat from the USFWS was utilized resulting in a more efficient and effective treatment in this area. Overall, several thousand sea lamprey larvae were eliminated from the Seneca Lake system which should benefit trout and salmon as well as other fishes in the immediate future.