12 hours ago, GAMBLER said:

May at the Niagara bar is the easiest time to concentrate on Coho.  

Where do you launch at to fish the Niagara bar? I fish Mexico bay and last year was slow, want to maybe travel to find more spring fish.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, seeyawader said:

Where do you launch at to fish the Niagara bar? I fish Mexico bay and last year was slow, want to maybe travel to find more spring fish.

I use to launch at Fort Niagara State Park.

Edited by spoonfed-1

11 hours ago, seeyawader said:

Olcott, Wilson or the Niagara River.  

Fish out deep in early summer, say 300' around 50°F  or a few degrees warmer, generally top 50' of water. Silver/blue or silver/green spoons, never get below 2.5 mph. (Speed and temp @ ball). That usually works for me. Don't target them anymore like we did back in the day but we pick up a few here and there when targeting kings.  Usually the cohos show up when the kings are in a "flashy" bite mode.

Think of them as a "tweener" between kings and steelhead.  On properly matched tackle cohos are as fun to catch as any fish in Lake Ontario. You'll get a lot of air time with them. 

YMMV, lots of good advice around. 

Chuck

thanks for all the reply's  i caught 1 years ago  off 9 mile in the spring went to check line snapped it off the rigger 3 cranks bam not big about 24 in i am going up end of may thats why i asked mostly looking for browns and steel head but a salmon  would be sweet in the mix i have seen fishing shows on cable were they do good in the spring  the show were farther and son slam them fishing 411

For salmon in the spring you want to run a little deeper than trout, browns and kings rarely mix. Yes you'll pick up the odd king here and there when fishing for browns but for consistent king action you need to move out a little. Targeting salmon is different than just trying to get something to bite. Good news is that once you get the kings dialed in you'll get lots of action because they rarely stop eating! Browns can get finicky about color and whatnot, but kings, as long as you don't go too slow, will eat your lures. 

Chuck

Edited by Chuck Smth

There are two times on the lake when you can target Coho.

1. May in Niagara county fishing the top 25'. Here are some baits we use on flat lines and short cores (up to 5 colors).
    1. Brads Thin Fish - The red colored ones all work.
    2. 6" DW Spin Doctors - Orange, Red, and Yellow all have their days pulling 2" peanut or Coho flies.
    3. DW Super Slim - Orange Slurpee is my favorite, but other orange colored spoons will do the job.
  2. September in front of the Salmon River. I've never done it, but from what I gather it's a flasher/fly bite and the fish are bigger.

• 2 weeks later...

Cohos show up in the spring when the emerald shiners move in. Two things to look for :  one, look for a school of bait that looks like a bunch of little dots on your fishfinder.  These usually present in the upper 1/3 of the water column towards the end of March in 30-70’ fow in Niagara County. Those are emeralds and there will be cohos around them.  Second, look for diving Terns. Terns can only feed on small bait. Where there are terns, there is small bait and potentially cohos. This scenario can take place anywhere but usually near the shoreline. Cohos don’t really need anything special. Your spring brown spread will have plenty of coho catching capability. If I sense cohos are around, I will add a orange z-dodger and fly to my shoreline spread off a rigger or add a mini spin doc and fly for the deeper bite. 

Edited by Gill-T

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/13/2022 at 8:37 PM, BAYONNE59 said:

what would be the best month to target them on the big o

We have found many mature Coho's in early September in Mexico Bay