Wire line rods

Cody191

Want to add a couple wire line rods this year but am having a hard time finding shorter rods. I’d prefer 7’-8’. Can I use shimano tdr rods I have laying around with a twili tip? Guides are aluminum oxide. Or will they not hold up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guides will be fine use a twilli tip. If you use 19 strand you don't even need the twilli but it's still a good idea. If the rod has a heavy enough power it will be fine I use a diawa wilderness medium heavy for my inside (shorter) divers I use the 8.5 foot rods they work surprisingly well

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Good deal, I’d like to re purpose some 8’ MH TDR’s. Or maybe if guides don’t matter so much I can pick up some new 7’ rods. I just haven’t been having any luck finding 7-8’ rods with stainless guides. I feel like shorter would be better for inside diver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ifishy's tip about the 19 strand is a good one. If you are going to use 7 strand wire you'll need either a twilli or roller tip although the individual rod eyelets composition are a question mark. I use Shakespeare Tidewater 6 1/2 ft rods with Allen roller tips and first guide a roller with 7 strand and have no problems for my short rods, and Okuma GLT in 8 1/2 ft for my longer dipsies. On one I  have an Allen roller tip and the other a twilli and I haven't notice any wear on any of the guides or tip thus far after about 5 years use. Not sure about extended time frame though as 7 strand is very abrasive. Here is a pic of what it can do to aluminum side plates on inexpensive roller tips.

rollercuts1a.jpg

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1