wire line set up

Thought I would try a wire set up this year. How do you know what depth your dipsey running at? what combos work better, spoons alone or always with a flasher? How do you keep the hole rig from ripping out of the rod holder? seems like with no slack with wire it would be unforgiving any help would be great for me and the little guy and girl. (Start them early). thanks

Wire is a great way to catch fish. If you are getting into it I would recommend the Precision Trollers Big Water Edition. It has charts that tell you how deep your dipsys are running. The rod will not come out of the rod holder as long as you have a good rod holder. I use the Big John Rod holders (there are many other good brands, just make sure they are very sturdy). As for rigs, I love running flashers and flies behind my dipsys all season. I do run spoons from time to time. I find Mag spoons are better to run off of wire dipsys due to running heavier leader because I don't use a snubber. Also make sure you are using a reel with a good drag. Tekotas and Diawa SG47LC's are good reels. For wire, I use the Malin 7 strand 30 lb. wire. Good luck and have fun watching your kids eyes light up when that first king is ripping wire off of your reel.

Ditto on Gambler's post. There is very little forgiveness so remember that when you are setting your drags and most importantly playing fish. You'll want your drag just passed the point of creep when the rig is set and in the rod holder, if you creep a little every few minutes that's OK too. Any tighter and you'll have nothing but fishlips :lol:

Whe you get a fish on just ease the rod out of the holder and keep tension on it. When you can pick up line on the fish just raise the rod tip and reel on the way down. If you pump the rod like a bassmaster you're done.

Takes a little to get the hang of wire divers but is well worth it. Good luck.

DAN

Everything that has been said is on the $$ I use Berts ratcheting rods holder they are great for dipsey when you get a hit they just come to a stand up postion and then just take the rod out and BAM fish on :lol: One other thing is make sure you put the wire on as tight as you can there are a couple of ways to do this

1.reel on the wire then take it to the lake and put a 1 lb ball or weight and let all of the wire out(make sure the wire is on the spool so it won't come off :) )then reel it back in and that shoud put it on nice and tight.

2.get a tennis ball,a vise and a big screw driver.Put the spool on the screw driver then put the screw driver thru the tennis ball then put the screwdriver in the vise and push the tennis ball against the vise until it's nice and tight and reel away and that will also put the wire on tight.I did very well with fly's and e chips last year on my dipsey's.I do run a opti clear snubber on my set ups but that's just me.Good luck

1.reel on the wire then take it to the lake and put a 1 lb ball or weight and let all of the wire out(make sure the wire is on the spool so it won't come off :) )then reel it back in and that shoud put it on nice and tight.

I do something slightly different. The only thing I do different is use a dipsey that is released. Let all of the wire out and reel it back in.

Thanks guys great site. Sometimes it can be a long day without any action. Ill try it all. Will be going out of sandy creek mostly. Nice ramp not to busy.

Lineguy,

From what I hear (it will be my first year at Sandy), everyone is willing to work together to catch fish at Sandy. Feel free to ask for help on the radio. My boat name is Escape.

• 3 months later...

Are the dipseys mentioned here the #1 (4 1/8" diameter) size ? Can anyone tell me how deep a diver would go with the same 240' out but on the #3 setting? Thanks BP