Cell Signal Boosters

Quiet Man

I am looking for some type of cell signal amplifier to use on my boat.  Other than communication, I use my cell for weather radar updates out on the Lake.  Ideally I would be nice to have the Sirius/XM Weather receiver, but the receiver and new display I would need is expensive.   Does anyone out there have a solution for boosting the signal received from land based cell towers that will improve my cell reception on the boat?

20 minutes ago, Quiet Man said:

I am looking for some type of cell signal amplifier to use on my boat.  Other than communication, I use my cell for weather radar updates out on the Lake.  Ideally I would be nice to have the Sirius/XM Weather receiver, but the receiver and new display I would need is expensive.   Does anyone out there have a solution for boosting the signal received from land based cell towers that will improve my cell reception on the boat?

Its funny because I have better cell reception 2-5 miles out vs dockside!

32 minutes ago, Quiet Man said:

Buy a VHF radio    The coast guard monitors ch 16. You get weather alerts  and you can always get help from fellow boaters in an emergency 

I like seeing a weather radar loop that a cell phone can give in real time. Getting off the water when a storm cell pops up over the water in July can save your life. The answer with anything safety on the water is redundancy. More than one bilge pump, boat batteries, fire extinguishers etc etc. With that in mind, everyone needs both their cell and a VHF radio. 

• Like 1

A little input

i researched cell signal boosters last fall for my house. Based on what I learned I don’t think the technology , boosting the signal, would work on a moving boat. The device is very specific to the solid location, like a tv signal reciever so to speck and it has to be hard mounted and pointing right at the strongest tower nearest you.

Interesting you say that Pappy.  I tried to dig into it too, probably not as well as you have and was baffled that I could not find a "marine" solution that did not require a fixed/directional position.  Just thought there had to be a cheaper cell signal solution to the more expensive XM satellite option, but like any item; put the word boat/marine in front of it and the price is 10X.

A little input
i researched cell signal boosters last fall for my house. Based on what I learned I don’t think the technology , boosting the signal, would work on a moving boat. The device is very specific to the solid location, like a tv signal reciever so to speck and it has to be hard mounted and pointing right at the strongest tower nearest you.

Same here. You have to have a signal and most of the antennas are yagis and are directional. Verizon even showed up and basically said your wasting your time. We have a weak cell signal to start with and couldn't get anything to noticeably improve it.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I installed one for reception in a steel roofed/sided shop. Had to be aimed directly at my providers tower and I had to register it with the FAA. That was to make sure all my neighbors could still get 911 calls to go through I was told. Went from no service to 3 bars, so I could at least make a call or receive a text inside.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

A while back (10 years) I set up a laptop for someone that wanted the same thing before cellphones were what they are now.  I used a usb wireless modem with a booster.  Tried it out on the lake about 10 miles out and it worked great.  This was out of IBAY and using 3g.  most of the USB wireless you can get a booster for.