weighted steel ?

New technique for me coming up this year. What reels do you like? Thinking of starting with 300 weighted steel on 2 rods for port and starboard. Daiwa Seagate SGTLW60H was recommended. Looking at what other options are good. Thank you. If you have something used, I might be interested. Sadly, the Niagra show was cancelled so I could not be pro-active there. 

10 hours ago, rolmops said:

I run my weighted steel on convectors as well. Make sure that you have line counter reels. That way you have more depth control.

I never saw the need for counters on a leadcore/copper/WS reel, I always let out all the weighted line that's on the reel. The line is so thick you will never get an accurate number anyway. If I want to run a shallower setup, I use a  200 steel instead of a 300 or a 8 color instead of a 10. I run inline planer boards so I need to let all of the weighted line out so I can attach the boards to the braid backing.  

Yes, my plan is to use the large inline boards, I have an Amish Outfitters Salmon Duckie for this. I was watching a You Tube and they said if you use #50 braid behind the weighted Steel it will continue to sink. I think it was 50 further down for every 100ft more with the braid backer.  Still attach to inline board and adjust depth somewhat. I plan to keep it simple this year and not get carried away playing with backer length too much. I can see where a line counter would help but I know Capt's who use this method without a line counter and know the amount of line per pull. I am sure it is approximate. LOL

1 hour ago, CtownChris said:

Yes, my plan is to use the large inline boards, I have an Amish Outfitters Salmon Duckie for this. I was watching a You Tube and they said if you use #50 braid behind the weighted Steel it will continue to sink. I think it was 50 further down for every 100ft more with the braid backer.  Still attach to inline board and adjust depth somewhat. I plan to keep it simple this year and not get carried away playing with backer length too much. I can see where a line counter would help but I know Capt's who use this method without a line counter and know the amount of line per pull. I am sure it is approximate. LOL

I'm not sure if it will continue to sink with 50lb braid backing, I have heard that is the case when using the 19 strand torpedo wire as backing though. But I wouldn't want to try and attach wire to an inline board so I have never personally tried that method. If I wanted to go deeper I would have  400/450/500ft setups but personally I don't run anything longer than 300ft. I do alot of C&R and have found most fish won't survive after a fight on anything longer than 300 copper/WS. Not to mention it gets less and less enjoyable for the person reeling it in. That's just my opinion though. 

If you need to get deeper and do not want to have multiple set ups, take a look at Torpedo weights.  There are multiple sizes which should allow you to fish anywhere in the water column.   We have a 200 ft weighted steel rod and use the shark and snapper weights to get down in that 60-100 ft range. I use the Seagate reel and enjoy being able to clear that line out of the way faster when another rods fires 

Vic

• Thanks 1