Helix 7 DI transducer

Bad Habit

I have an older Helix 7 DI fishfinder that seems to mark fine when I'm at slower speeds. At higher speeds It doesn't mark anything and usually loses the bottom and depth reading all together. It came with the  HUMMINBIRD XNT 9 DI T TM TRANSDUCER - 710226-1. I have tried changing the angle and location but no difference. Is this a transducer problem and is there a better transom mount transducer that would work better? If it matters  I don't really care about the DI function.

I've seen a lot of DI units not offer a medium frequency option. If that's the case with yours I'd assume you've only ever ran it on 2000khz or high chirp?

My recommendation is to go with an Airmar P66. It's a transom mount transducer with 50 and 200 kilohertz. You would use 200khz when running out in the morning to look for bait, and when you settle in to fish switch over to the 50khz. I sold out of these transducers, but I think I have 2 on the way this week. I'm at Krenzer marine, and live in Webster if this is something you want to grab.

Rick, Thanks for the reply. I'm not real knowledgeable about how the fishfinder frequency works.  Mine is not a chirp unit. I usually keep it on 200kz. when it loses bottom. These are my transducer specs.

• Down Imaging/DualBeam Plus
  • 75 degrees/ 45 degrees 455/800 kHz (DI)
  • 25 degrees/16 degrees 200/455 kHz with built-in temperature
  • 20' Cable

Ya, if you had 83khz, which comes on the Sonar/GPS models (not SI or DI models), we wouldn't be having this conversation. A lot of guys buy the DI models becasue they are cheaper, or places blow them out at special prices. My recommendation is to pick up an Airmar P66 if you want a transom mount transducer, or a B60 if you want a thru-hull transducer. Use 50khz when trolling, and 200khz while on plane. Losing bottom with 200khz sounds more like an improper install more than anything.

Rick has given you very good advice. The Airmar's are excellent transducers and hold up well. The better matched a transducer is to your unit and trolling the better the performance. Transducers can go bad over time and although usually they totally crap out when they do but I have had one over the years that acted just as you described it. Best solution get a transducer that is better adapted to your situation and Airmar has a whole range of them for that purpose. Make sure when installed it is free from any surface turbulence from chines or strakes on the hull and that it isn't too far toward the outside of the hull and many times they need to be angled forward or backward ever so slightly.

Edited by Sk8man

15 hours ago, Bad Habit said:

I'll have to check the transducer location again. This unit is about 6 years old. Maybe it's time to upgrade to a Chirp unit.

I'd buy the transducer before I buy a new unit. It'll be cheaper.