Turkey Scouting

idn713

Hey guys, when do you typically start to hear gobbles in Western NY? I am actually going to be serious about scouting some public for turkey and wondering when I should start. I would like to be able to actually try to get some natural or shock gobbles if I could so I’m not just strictly looking for sign. Any ideas of when they start to fire up so I am looking for less of a needle in a haystack? 

I am always road scouting turkeys all year long. This gives me an idea where to go into the woods during april. I'm usually in the woods before light at least a dozen times in april.  This gives me info on roosting areas and where they head after fly down. I never use turkey sounding calls.  Occasionally I'll use a crow call.  Try not to spook them.  Pick days that are cool and light winds. Great time of the year to be out there and gets you pschyed up 

I believe if you start very early before the big flocks break up it doesn’t do a great deal of good. Over many years of hunting I feel they establish new areas after break up and I find them in their traditional locations that I already know. I use to do a great deal of scouting but now generally only scout 3 or 4 days ahead of season. They seem to be on the same roost and using same routine as in previous years. Fortunately I hunt private farms.

• Like 2

Mid to late March I hear them start to tree gobble early especially on very quiet mornings usually younger birds all fired up on the first spring to mate. If you can find a good spot to park where i hunt in Allegany County by 5am and just listen always find something after a few trips.  The true sound of spring along with those robins!! 💯👍

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Took my wife to an appointment today and two Toms in the parking lot were none too pleased with our presence. 
One attacked my Wrangler lol. 
no clue why pics are loading sideways. 

0AB4F728-AC63-451F-A49F-C9EF2B0056FB.jpeg

41B86D46-66E2-4017-89D5-FEA7BB18B8BD.jpeg

B4C2EAB3-333F-49C3-96E9-801A69ECA7C5.jpeg

• 1 month later...

If someone told me that someday I would pay $75 for a box of 5 Turkey loads I would have said they were nuts. 

9AC76EA2-6E47-47D5-B2CB-A34A3DE58BA9.jpeg

Edited by whaler1

WOW. I picked up a few boxes last year at Sportsmans warehouse. I think they were $45 a box. Nothing cheap about TSS but it flat out works!

Update - I had to shoot twice this morning but I got him! It was one of those awkward weak side shots. Expensive morning!

Edited by reeleyz

Well, you can often (not always) use carbon arrows over again with pass through shots.  But $15/arrow when you include the cost of the broadhead is actually cheap!  I use the Winchester Longbeards and they seem to cost twice as much as when I stocked up 3 or 4 years ago.