Spring Flatlining

I havent fished Ontario in 30 years..

Is it still possible to catch fish flat lining on the Niagara Bar? I am familiar using Dipseys but don't have any boards..I wasn't sure if the water is to clear to go straight out the back...

We fished before boards were introduced. I fish the Eastern end of the lake. Oswego harbor to nine mile pt. Was our stomping grounds  loooong lines are key. In shallow water the boat spooks the fish , so very long ( 150-175 ) lines are necessary. Good luck 

• Thanks 1

Snap weights six foot in front of your lures work well' Side planer boards put your lures away from the boat where the fish flee from your boat in shallow water.  Long lines are a waste of time. In shallow waters snags are a big problem when stopping or turning the boat. Use floating stickbaits only, spinners or spoons are snag magnets. Water temperatures are needed to work warmer near shore waters. Dirty or muddy water has clear water under them with sunlight restricted by the dirty water. Fish hate the high sun usually after 8:00 AM you will move offshore to find more fish. J13 Rapalas are hot lures for Kings early nearshore in the spring. Big fish like bigger lures. Glow reds and chartreuse are good.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Deep divers like spoonbill rebels or rapala tail dancers and the like  work great long lined if tuned properly . They can get down to 30 ft . I ran them back 250 ft flat lined tip of rod close to water 12# mono . 

X2 on on the j 13 . All colors . A clown j 13 is gold I'd you can find one . GFR also . 

You can get some used manual riggers on here for not a lot of money . 

My spread for years late 70s early 80s  was 2 manual riggers 1 line each and 2  long lines with diving plugs . 

Good luck . 

• Thanks 1

" deep divers " after 35 years have never worked for us but as you post maybe we have not tuned them right ? Run at least one long line but watch for other boats could tangle [ have had it more than once ] ! the problem with long lines is the slack which may not give you a good hookup ? Color rules in the spring ! We always start with chartreuse then mix and match !

• Thanks 1

The first time I fished the Bar I had a out of body experience, the fishing was insanely awesome , the fish fight harder and we caught so many. Honestly it was a let down to fish again out of Hughes again, but the answer is Yes, enjoy it. I remember working on charter boats with some awesome Captains in the mid eighties and you would here them talk about Olcott and Wilson, and how the fishing is out West. If I could make a suggestion to you maybe charter your time, it’s Really worth it to hire a charter, they will teach you things so the me you go you can fish out of your own setup….Woody

• Thanks 1

I would also think slide divers would work well that time of year in that situation . 

Let out  75  to 150 ft and put the diver on 6 setting and let the diver 5 to 20 ft below the surface with a spoon . 

The best divers I had were spoonbill rebels black silver red belly  41/2" and 5 1/2" , a Lindy shadling prototype in lemon lime ( killer till a king snapped it in half )  , a diving long A bomber florescent green chartreuse . 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jimski2 said:

Snap weights six foot in front of your lures work well' Side planer boards put your lures away from the boat where the fish flee from your boat in shallow water.  Long lines are a waste of time. In shallow waters snags are a big problem when stopping or turning the boat. Use floating stickbaits only, spinners or spoons are snag magnets. Water temperatures are needed to work warmer near shore waters. Dirty or muddy water has clear water under them with sunlight restricted by the dirty water. Fish hate the high sun usually after 8:00 AM you will move offshore to find more fish. J13 Rapalas are hot lures for Kings early nearshore in the spring. Big fish like bigger lures. Glow reds and chartreuse are good.

I’ve caught too many fish to count using long lines. I use neutral buoyancy stick  baits ( husky jerks ) to stop the problem of snagging bottom. A lot of early spring fishing is done in 5 ft of water 

• Thanks 1

MagLips in size 4.0 and 4.5 work well off 3 way rigs with a 10-15" dropper with 1 oz lead. Good idea to familiarize with that piece of bottom by looking at contour maps before you go or Navionics. Watch your sonar and work the contours where you have the bottom going from 60 to 20. Watch your GPS if you don't have a Canadian license - the closest slice of that terrain to the mouth of the river is right on the US/ Canadian line.

• Thanks 1