External Fuel Water Filter

Prof T

1 hour ago, Prof T said:

Thanks. Do you run a single inlet and pull each motor off individual outlets on the filter housing or a single outlet to a “y”?

Single in and 2 outs on the filter housing. Never had any issue with pulling air through the motor that wasn't running.

I'm trying to run a gas line to a 9.9 kicker on my Tracker. I just wanted to T off the gas line to the 115 outboard and each motor will have it's own primer bulb. I am told you can't do that because it will pull gas out of the motor that is not running. But if I use a fuel water filter with 2 outlets for each motor it will correct the problem? The boats gas tank only has 1 outlet I believe.

Any input would be great.

Thanks

Guys

Be safe & put an anti siphon valve or dedicated one way check valve off the separator to the kicker or in the fuel hose to the kicker. Don't rely on just the inadequate check valve in the primer bulb alone. I have seen more than my share of blown or lean running main engines over the last 50+ years due to a faulty primer bulb. 

I agree with L&M. Because not all primer bulbs are made of the same quality. I find that specially in colder weather the primer bulbs get hard and not so good in pumping fuel over longer distances specially when they have to suck the fuel up to over the transom from a tank on the floor of the boat. I solved this problem by inserting two primer bulbs for the kicker. One about a foot past the water seperator on the bottom of the boat and the other on top of the transom where it is easily reached. Sometimes when the one on top of the transom does not get the fuel up I just lift up the doghouse and pump the other primer bulb. It always solves the fuel supply problem.

To those following this post, the concern is drawing air back though the unused engine’s fuel source. That could result in a leaned out fuel mix in the primary engine. Lean mixtures burn HOT. Maybe even dangerously HOT. 15$ check valve in the supply line of the kicker is a worthwhile precaution.

• Like 1