Fishing Canadian waters

1 hour ago, Gill-T said:

I called over to CBSA a few months ago and they told me that you do not have to call in like you did before. You can fish in Canadian waters with a Canadian fishing license. You cannot touch shore or anchor in Canada unless you report in. But if you go fishing in the Niagara River for instance, you can fish either side if you are properly licensed. Make sure you abide by their rules, too, such as with live bait. 

Very tough to navigate. I did not find the exemption for someone just crossing the border to fish without landing to enter Canada. It must be under a different link. Like I said, I called CBSA and they told me that if you are fishing and cross over the border, with no intention of setting foot in Canada, you don't have to call or fill out the paperwork as if you were traveling to Canadian soil. 

The hard part navigating all of this is depending on which border agent you come in contact with, you may get varying responses. I know this after dealing with the border during COVID while my daughter was at the University of Guelph. Some guys would let you go through without hassles and some were threatening. 

Imagine the scenario where your boat breaks down. Navigate that AP while bouncing around in waves to see if you can drop anchor, get gas, get a tow….