Sailboat and line tangle ordeal - what would you do?

Went out on sunday with my father-in-law and 4 yr. old son. It was choppy so we only flat lined 2 rods.

A local college has a sailboat club and they had a dozen or so 2 person sailboats out. They had 2 motor boats at the edge of the group of sailboats just in case there was a tip over and I'm assuming to ward of other baots from their area. This is just what we did (stay well outside and away from the motor boats. We had turned and were heading away from all of their boats.

The next thing I know all the sailboats barrel down on the rear of our boat. (25 feet away) I tried to grab the rods and dip the tips in the water but the keels grabbed the lines and it was a huge mess, so I cut the lines (cut off 2 of my favorite J-9's).

Two of the boats with ivy league pricks told us we were in the wrong. I was pi$$ed and my first thought was to chuck the fire extinguisher at them. I remembered who was on the boat and held my tounge. I calmly told them they were in the wrong, motored up and went home.

I'm still pissed about this, any thoughts? I'm considering sending them a letter to refund my lost tackle and for an appology of their attitude.

Good luck! I am assuming you were on the south end of Cayuga. I understand your pain but you are just going to have to stay away from that area when they have their sailing class (races) going on. Go over to the west side till their done. Fishing has been better over there as of late anyway. Its a big lake, I just leave the area. You will never win an argument with those blow boats. Sorry but thats the way it is. And don't let it ruin your day.

RR

Mmmm what would I want to do, oh ya throw my ancor into thier boat and tie it down to the back cleat of my boat and take those little sailie boys for a nice ride. Now what would I realy do is pull all my lines and tool over and ask them why they road up on me when they can see im fishing.

Wait until they have their first race (or regatta how ever it is spelled) and drive right on the course and stop your boat. This technique works well if you have six or seven other boats with you. They don't respect our hobbies why on earth should we respect theirs! Our local yacht club puts race buoys out, they are about six feet tall and two feet in diameter. The first time I was out after dark I almost hit one going about 20. You think they would put a light or reflective tape on it? Not a chance. The friend that was with me talked me out of cutting it free.

From the Navigation Rules, USCG-page 85, [c] A vessel engaged in fishing,-, shall exhibit:--- a shape consisting of two cones with apexes together in a vertical line one above the other.

If you did not comply, then you will be found wrong.

I believe the navigation laws also state that the boat being overtaken has the right of way. However I also believe the weekend fisherman will always be considered in the "wrong" when it comes to meeting up with sailboats, even if he's been anchored there all night.

I'd venture guess that flag rule generally aplies to commercial trawlers not sport trollers. Nav rules have some pretty archaic definitions for being "engaged in fishing."

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Had the same thing happen to me 3 or 4 weeks ago, was along ways from them then out of nowwhere two idiots come across the back of the boat and take 2 flatlines and two lines off the planners and tip the planner board over. I wanted to light-em up with a flare to the sail. Next time I'll vacate the south end.

Splitshot115

There are a lot of nuts out there. Some of them are worse than us.

Concerning the "right of way" you still must take an effort to avoid an incident even if you have the right of way. Probably the best thing to do was to pull your lines in when you saw the ragboaters coming.

Thanks for the comments, it was the S. end of Cayuga. By the sounds of it I'm not the only victim. I get the sense that they have a general disrgard for fishermen and that their actions were intentional. The class certainly was not green, they handled the boats like they knew what they were doing. I'll stear clear of the area in the future.

Thanks for the comments, it was the S. end of Cayuga. By the sounds of it I'm not the only victim. I get the sense that they have a general disrgard for fishermen and that their actions were intentional. The class certainly was not green, they handled the boats like they knew what they were doing. I'll stear clear of the area in the future.

Nope happens every year but now its worse since Cornell built that new sailing club building and got a bunch of new blow boats. I have even tangled with the rowers before. Best just to give them their space.

RR

From the Navigation Rules, USCG-page 85, [c] A vessel engaged in fishing,-, shall exhibit:--- a shape consisting of two cones with apexes together in a vertical line one above the other.

If you did not comply, then you will be found wrong.

The only vessels that fall into the "Fishing vessel" category are Long Liners, or drag neters. Commercial fishing vessels in other words. regular guys who are trolling like we are fall into the "Power Driven Vessels" category. I almost puke in my mouth to say it, but the sailboats have the right of way.

Out here we have those San Francisco type guys on sail boats, Last Feb while on Whiskey Town lake, I moved out of this one sail boats way 20 times. Now you have to understand there where only two boats on the entire lake. Us and the sail boat. It finally got to the point I was not going to move again. This boat was not going to quit cutting across my bow. So I stood on the bow of my boat and yelled you wine glass drinking _ _ _ cut me off again I will ram you. They turned and never returned and there was peace on the waters once again. Just a little common sense on there part would not have got my blood pressure to that point. I know they have the right away , but don't push it and we all can get along

If you arn't underpower but drifting would they still be in the right. It might be worth untangling lines to stop and throw out a bobber. If they had to fool around to not ram you. :P

Sailboats own the water, at least that's the first lesson of the first day of rag boat school.

Unless you brother is the local judge, I'd recomend you avoid them all togther. Chances are the judge or "water cops" & someone in his "Club" are golf buddies. It really doesn't matter who's right & who's wrong, straightening out or settling one incident is really not worth the hassle.

I think there's some pictures of my favorite sailboats a few pages back there someplace.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

It sounds like they are doing it on purpose and probably telling their friends about it. Launch someplace away from them. Tie 100 feet -1/4inch nylon rope to stern tow eye, attach a small sturdy grapple hook to the other end with just enough float to keep it up. After use, leave the lake. Next week come back with a friend in his boat, try again. Soon they would tell their friends it if tuff steering without a rudder and they would stop.

I'll go there and try my new trolling technique. Wire line with a section of cable saw wire. After they get keel hauled, cross their bow on a hard turn to wrap it and gun the throttle. salvage the keel for downrigger weights :lol:

Correct me if I'm wrong but from the sounds of it, you were being overtaken from the rear, correct? If so, then this is THE situation in which a powerboat has ROW over the sailboat.

From the comments here, it sounds like this sort of behavior is the rule rather than the exception with this particular club. I'm saddened to see this type of behavior from the A-holes of my alma mater tarnishing our good(?) name :o I would ABSOLUTELY call the head of athletics, their Public Relations dept and the ombudsman and lodge formal complaints. :@

• 3 weeks later...

OK guys. I sail and fish both. If I were you I would explain what happened to the sailing group. They most likely will have a schedule of events they can give you but should also understand that they really screwed you over. It might be a good idea to let them know how they should go around you so they do not cut your lines. I know non fishermen who think as long as they go behind a fishing boat they are not going to do you any harm. They are clueless as to trolling. It's a learning curve that those guys need to know. You might also learn something about how sailboats need to operate. The racing courses are laid out in advance so if you knew when those guys would be there you could stay out of the course. If you really want to see a mess check out a crew race when the fishing lines get tangled around the oars.