markings on copper or weighted steel

I was just curious if anyone had recommendations on how to mark distance on copper or weighted steel.  I have 200,  300 and 400.  I like 100 ft markings and have put them on with colored fly tying thread, and paint. both sort of work for a little while. 

I've seen copper marked with yarn. Just spread apart and woven thru and pulled tight. I think the best way to do it is to have color coded shrink wrap. Like 50' red....100' white....etc... And keep the colors the same on all the rods. You know how much line is out during battle but like everything else it only lasts so long. 

I tried spray paint, but that only lasts a few weeks, Then I tried color coded insulation shrink wrap,that worked a bit better,then I experimented with nail polish that worked for a while.The problem with shrink wrap and nail polish is that you cannot just have a small dot of material. It has to be a few inches long or you will miss it as it goes past. The best material for copper and weighted steel that I found so far is the material that truck garages use to write info on the truck frame . (for filter installation dates and such) I think it comes in red white and blue. The drawback of that material is that it makes for small stiff sections of line.

Edited by rolmops