Adding gas line for kicker motor

troutman10

I've got a new to me boat that looks to me has an additional gas port. It's not hooked up but I'd like to run a line from my tank to my kicker if it's what the extra port is for. I've posted some pics below to help explain. Correct me if this isn't what the extra port is meant for. How would I go about running an additional line to my kicker? Just put a "T" in for the line that runs to the main motor or am i over simplifying things? Any help is appreciated. 

20220314_202520.jpg

20220314_210436.jpg

That sure looks like another pickup to me. I didn't have one on my boats. I ran my kicker off another tank for a while but ended up putting a t after my fuel filter on the main motor. Hook your kicker line to it and pump the primer. If it sucks up gas your good to go.

Is the main motor an I/O or an outboard?  

On my last rig, I had a Merc outboard and a Tohatsu  kicker. I ran a short piece of fuel line from the kicker and added a Merc fitting.  I would disconnect the fuel line from the main motor and snap it on the kicker when trolling. 

40 minutes ago, troutman10 said:

The main motor is a 115 hp merc and the kicker is a merc. I'll have to check to make sure the connections are the same. Might have been thinking too much. :-P

Is there a fuel/water separator in there someplace? I would want to run my kicker fuel line out of the filter rather than directly out of the tank. You can get a filter housing with a single in, dual outlet and not even have to use a 'T'. If you don't have one, they are pretty cheap (~$100) and good insurance against potentially having issues out on the water. 

Edited by FishingFool34

1 hour ago, troutman10 said:

The main motor is a 115 hp merc and the kicker is a merc. I'll have to check to make sure the connections are the same. Might have been thinking too much. :-P

Assuming the big Merc is either oil injected or 4 stroke. If the kicker is 4 stroke you're good to go.

There is an inline fuel filter under the cowl of the 115, and most likely one on the kicker too.

1 hour ago, troutman10 said:

The 115 hp doesn't have a primer bulb

Some outboards have an electric automotive style lift pump to pump fuel from tank to motor. Turn key, lift pump turns on and pressurizes the system like a primer bulb would. The line should be full of fuel when you transfer it over to the kicker, so it's fuel pump should continue pulling fuel. I don't see why you can't add a primer bulb inline and just use it to prime the kicker if needed.

I suggest you send a Private Message to  L&M on this site. Hank is an excellent marine mechanic and a moderator here. He will have the best answer for you. 

I'm not a mechanic and I'm sure somebody here knows for sure if your engine has a check valve and can answer you better than me but in my career of "rigging" my own boats that's the only problem I've had. Put in a primer bulb as a check valve and was good. Probably make a check valve somewhere for this problem but that's what I came up with. You might not need it on your main motor. But if it runs and then quits from being starved from fuel that's my quick fix.

4 hours ago, troutman10 said:

The 115 hp doesn't have a primer bulb

It's probably a newer fuel injected motor .My Yamaha outboard has the gas line run to the inside and permanently connected. My Merc kicker has a primer bulb and is connected like you want to do. If I haven't used it for a while I have to pump primer. Having it permanently connected is nice 

23 minutes ago, Alumacraft205 said:

It's probably a newer fuel injected motor .My Yamaha outboard has the gas line run to the inside and permanently connected. My Merc kicker has a primer bulb and is connected like you want to do. If I haven't used it for a while I have to pump primer. Having it permanently connected is nice 

Same here

The comment about both motors being 4 stroke or having the main one  oil injected is important. You sure don't want to have that form of hookup if the kicker is a 2 stroke. Another option that folks usually resist but has a purpose is to run the kicker on its own fuel tank if you have room for one. The primary safety benefit is that you have two separate fuel systems in case of fuel contamination of the main tank (e.g. moisture or water on the main fuel which could affect both motors leaving you stranded).

Here is how I went about running a 2 stroke main motor (150hp) and a 4 stroke kicker (9.9hp). Used a Mercury Water/Fuel separator. One line in from main fuel tank TWO lines out one to each motor. Added benefit of a water/fuel filter. No danger of either motor sucking the fuel out of the other motor. Simple and effective.Quicksilver Water Separating Fuel Filter Kit #:QSL 802893Q4 - Coms Marine

Edited by Wrestling Coach

Heed this advice" I suggest you send a Private Message to  L&M on this site. Hank is an excellent marine mechanic and a moderator here. He will have the best answer for you. " (Quote is from a reply above)  What I say is It's always a good idea to get the opinion of someone who actually does this stuff for a living and has done so for a long time AND - if you don't listen then at least INSTALL AN ACTUAL ANTI SIPHON CHECK VALVE going to the kicker

Was able to speak with Hank. Parts are on order. His advice was def appreciated. Great guy! Just want to make sure I do the right thing as every situation is different. Good point about having 2 separate tanks Sk8man. The kicker has its own tank so it'll be like having 2 separate ones.