Running Multiple dipseys question….

I have 4 WIRE diver setups

My question is when running 2 divers on the same side of the boat…

The inside Diver is a mag dipsey set on a ONE setting. 

The second diver…is it a mag? Is wire ok for the outside diver too?  What is a safe

setting for no tangle etc. 2,3 or all the way over. 

Lastly, I understand current and numerous variables are in play, but as a rule of thumb, with WIRE dipsey mags, what is the depth ratio. 3-1 ?  2-1?

I know they have the chart, but I read different opinions regarding wire depths etc. Thanks for any direction/help here. 

everyone runs things a little different.  as long as cross currents arent too bad, and i'm running my gear greater than 40' feet or so, I always run:

Inside 9' rod, wire, mag dipsey (deeper diver 124 mm), 1 setting

Outside 10.5' rod, wire, regular dipsey (deeper diver 107 mm), 2.5 setting

approximate ratios of 2:1 on inside and 3:1 on outside.  far from an exact science, but it gets close, and then we repeat what works.

watch your turns carefully, especially in cross currents.  We dont tangle often, but I've had some nasty ones.

IMG_0104.JPG

What he said, except that we like 8' inside and 9.5' outside rods. Deploy them out slowly, too. I will often let them spool out under drag on their own while setting other rigs.

Inside can be standard or mag diver on 1 setting.

Outside is generally a standard diver on 3 setting, gives good vertical and horizontal separation.

Remember when you deploy a diver ... there's very little bite in the water ... so it tends to stay to the center of the boat and dives deeper (think if you just dropped a diver into the water without your boat moving .... it would sink straight down. Well, an almost similar thing happens when you deploy from a moving boat .... you are letting out line a little slower than the boat speed ... so it tends to sink almost straight down ... not quite ... just want to give you that right image ... so it's very important if the inside diver is already set in the water, to let that outside diver out VERY slow, so it does bite and pull to the side and away from the inside diver line).

• Like 1