2021 mercury 40hp

Captsmate

On 3/16/2022 at 5:02 PM, Captsmate said:

I have a 2021 mercury outboard ..40hp with 20 hrs on it..so when boat is on trailer (not running) and I shift into forward I can spin prop and I hear a clicking sound. Is this normal?

Have you tried shifting it while running? 

16 hours ago, skinny420 said:

I'd take it back where I got it and show them. Has to be under warranty. That clicking sound is the clutch dogs being rounded off because it's out of adjustment, low on fluid, or the ears on the dog are rounded off and slip under a load.

X’s 2

I wouldn't mess with it at all, a 2021 with less than 20hrs should be running perfectly. I would be headed right back to where you bought it for a warranty claim. Don't risk messing with something that could end up getting your warranty voided!

I think he is saying it doesn't engage completely and is chattering as it is grinding the clutch dogs off. I have destroyed a few lowers in my day and it don't take to much before the clutch dogs are completely destroyed. The shift linkage out of adjustment and low on fluid and I rounded the ears off enough they would slip under a load and completely destroyed them. If under warranty make them fix it if not adjust the linkage till it locks in forward and reverse without it running.

• Like 1