Slide diver question

When I ran slide divers, I ran the regular size on the farthest out setting... Lure was 70-75 ft back...
In recent years I've been running the Chinook #1 divers for Browns. Today we did well on browns running the Chinooks.. They were 16to 20 feet out.. Lures were about 8ft behind the diver.. There were times I saw the diver in the water next to the boat. Big browns aren't afraid of hitting next to the boat... Good luck this spring.received_458650979280325.jpg

Sent from my VS996 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 4

Yes, you will be amazed at how many fish will hit a diver out 12-20'. Basically in the prop wash. But I would still recommend setting up a set of wire slide divers. There are days that they will add a bunch of fish to your cooler. Ultimate kits are needed to reach the depth. They are really nice at times but not really needed for just spring browns.

12 hours ago, Missdemeanor said:

When I ran slide divers, I ran the regular size on the farthest out setting... Lure was 70-75 ft back...
In recent years I've been running the Chinook #1 divers for Browns. Today we did well on browns running the Chinooks.. They were 16to 20 feet out.. Lures were about 8ft behind the diver.. There were times I saw the diver in the water next to the boat. Big browns aren't afraid of hitting next to the boat... Good luck this spring.received_458650979280325.jpg

Curious on the difference between the chinook and regular dipseys. I know the difference but why the chinooks over dipsey divers? Thanks for the info guys!!!

I actually use both throughout the year... Now I love the small Chinooks... It's just cool seeing the rod get smoked real close to the boat... I have a theory why it works well in spring... As the boat goes over them, they swim to the sides and pic up that spoon close ... It doesn't work everyday, but more days than not..
In late spring when I'm fishing the upper column for steel on temp breaks, i'll toss out slide divers.. I won't run the diver back far ( depends on the temp break depth) but I might run the spoon back 50ft.. Whatever my rigger leads are, I run the slide divers back 25ft further.
Deeper trolling I'm more used to regular divers... Not that the metal chinooks don't work, they Absolutley work mint... I just haven't put a lot of time in testing depths... I have a hard time experimenting on charters... New techniques give me anxiety lol...
Pick a method of deployment and master it... More you run stuff the more confident you get...

I love my slide divers   I really don't  run them enough . Usually only as a last resort when I think about it . Best when fish are 70 ft and higher . 

I use spoons mostly but flashers also. 

I use 65#  braid on mine to 40 or 50 ft of 30 # mono which the diver slides  on . Then bead and swivel .Then  5 ft of flouro . 

I run SDs on braid as my outside divers on Ontario, with Dipsys on wire as inside divers ( in July and August I often run the Mag dipsys inside). On Erie I have started running both inside and outside Slide divers on braid. I usually run the mag kit equipped divers on the inside. Based on advice from Mr. 580 I will be letting the divers slide on 40 lb mono this year. Unfortunately due to the difference between Kings and Wallye I use completely different rods and reels for SDs on Erie and Ontario but it’s 2 different boats too so … 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kempie said:

you guys that run braid on your slide divers later in the year don't you have problems with fleas?

Run 65# braid- minimizes issues, you're not jigging so don't sweat the sensitivity.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 3/17/2022 at 7:30 PM, hookedupf7 said:

Thinking about adding a couple of small slide divers in my arsenal for spring browns. Wondering what size and how far of leads are you guys using behind the diver

My mini slide diver rigs for browns are as follows:

-30# Braid to fill the spool

-12# Fluoro running line x 60’

-10# Fluoro Leader x 7’

The water is usually gin clear where I’m fishing for spring browns hence the use of the 60’ of 12# Fluoro running line before the bead and swivel. It may be coincidence but I seem to do better with the section of Fluoro running line vs braid to the swivel! I use black color mini sliders and I doctor them up with UV chartreuse tape! 
Works well! 😊

My thoughts on why the chinooks work better than say a #0 Dipsey in the same application....the Chinooks have far less mass per unit area than traditional dipsey and I think that contributes to them being more affected by turbulence around the hull more than a traditional #0 dipsey - this likely causes a lot of movement with the chinooks that may not be as prevalent in the smaller size dipseys and my guess is that movement at a given trolling speed translates to more erractic behavior at the spoon which might lead to more bites - just a hunch but in my experience the chinook on the side of my running motor (I have twin inboards) takes more fish typically than the other side.  Same situation with slides when fishing shallow - the more turbulent side often is a better rod for me as a general observation.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...