re power, filling old transom holes

scobar

I'm in the process of re-powering my 19' Lowe Roughneck boat. I'm thinking that the new motor mount transom holes wont line up with the existing ones. My questions is how to fill the old holes before the new motor is ready to be installed.

thanks for your ideas.

If the transom is all good and no other work is required, go to the lumber yard and get yourself some round hardwood stock just bigger than the holes. Drilling the holes to accommodate the size of stock might be required. Cut them so they will be flush to the outside skins. Coat them with 5200 and drive them in. Sand and paint.

I rebuilt the transom and repowered my 19.5' boat with a new outboard this winter as well. Since the 1980s outboard companies use the same bolt patterns on their motor mounts so unless you went with a drastically smaller engine or an engine pre 80s, the pattern should be the same. The only difference will be how high or low they mount the engine based on the shaft length. The standard bolt patterns are 12 7/8" spacing for the top two and 9 7/8" for the bottom two. Your new outboard will match that pattern but i would confirm with the marina installing your new outboard so you don't have to do any more work than you already have to. Replacing the transom is a labor intensive process but if you are spending the money on a brand new outboard it may be worth the investment of time and money so you don't have to do it down the line if you see any rotten wood. Also, some folks use pressure treated wood to rebuild transoms and pressure treated eats aluminum causing it to corrode and pit, If that's what's in your transom now, you want it out before it causes any more issues. Good luck with your repower!