Raymarine ST1000 Tiller Pilot- anyone ever used as an autopilot on a fishing boat?

1lastweekend

I am interested in purchasing the ST1000 or ST2000 tiller pilot and connecting it to my 6hp kicker to use as an autopilot.  I have seen a few videos on YT where people have connected these to their boats (mainly outboards) and used them successfully for a rudimentary autopilot.  When I look at the cost of one of these units ($450) compared to a TR1 Gold, high-end Minn Kota with iPilot (pls batteries and charger) or other option, this seems like a cost-effective way to get a basic autopilot.  And when I saw I can network to my Garmin FF, even better.  My one concern is that my boat's main motor is a Mercruiser 120HP I/O, and I currently use an Ez-Troll connector to steer the kicker from the helm.  I wonder how good my steering will be if the kicker and lower unit of the I/O are disconnected, and I am trying to steer the boat with the kicker alone...Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Video examples below:

I have one. I've only used it a few times. I think it really needs the external compass to work  well so the main motor doesn't interfere with it. I'm going to get a bow mounted trolling motor so I can use it for trolling and perch fishing. I have the 1000 which I would be willing to sell for $150. I have some extensions for the arm and all the other parts.

Text me at 585-362-6510 if interested.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ric66 said:

I have one. I've only used it a few times. I think it really needs the external compass to work  well so the main motor doesn't interfere with it. I'm going to get a bow mounted trolling motor so I can use it for trolling and perch fishing. I have the 1000 which I would be willing to sell for $150. I have some extensions for the arm and all the other parts.

Text me at 585-362-6510 if interested.

Thanks I have read about that in a couple of forums.  I think thats why in the 1st video the guy has it so far from the motor, and controls the kicker with steering/throttle cables through a narrow channel PVC pipe.  I will shoot you a text.  Thanks for the feedback!

1lastweekend, I also have one but mine is mounted on the port side. It drives my main engine 1st. Then using a tie bar it's connected to my kicker, the reason being I am able to utilize my main engines rutter.
It works surprising well, the only caviot is you do have to disconnect your main steering ram which is just one nut.
After the steering is disconnected I made a strait tie bar made from 5/8" alum. round bar and added panther quick connects on both sides of the bar. Then just connect to main engine and kicker.
So yes there is a little Fab. involved, but for the money ya can't go wrong.
I got the original idea from a fellow L.o.u. member, If I remember right his handle was GaryNY. I believe he moved a year or 2 ago, but you should be able to look up his posts.
I would send some pics.but I am in the middle of a transom rebuild and a re- power. If ya need anything hit me up!
Goodluck! Kurt

Sent from my LML212VL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tinfin said:

1lastweekend, I also have one but mine is mounted on the port side. It drives my main engine 1st. Then using a tie bar it's connected to my kicker, the reason being I am able to utilize my main engines rutter.
It works surprising well, the only caviot is you do have to disconnect your main steering ram which is just one nut.
After the steering is disconnected I made a strait tie bar made from 5/8" alum. round bar and added panther quick connects on both sides of the bar. Then just connect to main engine and kicker.
So yes there is a little Fab. involved, but for the money ya can't go wrong.
I got the original idea from a fellow L.o.u. member, If I remember right his handle was GaryNY. I believe he moved a year or 2 ago, but you should be able to look up his posts.
I would send some pics.but I am in the middle of a transom rebuild and a re- power. If ya need anything hit me up!
Goodluck! Kurt

Hi, thanks for the feedback!  I will have to take a look at installing the setup you are talking about.  My boat is a 1981 with Teleflex cable steering.  I wonder if I can disconnect the ram like you did.  If so that would be a great setup, with the ST1000 tucked away under the back of my boat.  It also gets it away from the magnetic interference from the kicker motor flywheel.  Did you choose to run it off of a separate battery?  I hear there can be line noise interference if you run it off the same battery that the kicker charging circuit is charging...I will see if I can find any old posts from GaryNY.

4 hours ago, tinfin said:

Also if you need any literature(owners manual) I prob. can send to you.

Thanks, I just picked up a ST1000+ from Ric66, and he had the manual and some connector parts for the unit.  Hopefully i am going to get my boat out of storage this weekend and get it in the garage to work on the install...

• 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...
On 10/28/2022 at 7:36 PM, Mattjc said:

Any update on how this ended up? Contemplating on trying it out myself.

Update as of 5/12/23: I worked for about a month on the setup of tying the ST1000 to my main motor steering by drilling a hole in the lower unit control arm and connecting the ST1000 via  a piece of 5/16" threaded rod.  The real issue was that the Raymarine wasn't powerful enough to turn my lower unit and the kicker connected via the steering rod unless the boats steering cable was disconnected.  Unlike Tinfin's setup, disconnecting my main steering cable from the lower control arm of the lower unit isn't very easy.  There's a nut, washer and a cotter pin, and getting the steering rod off the cable is a real PITA.  I thought about tying the ST1000 to the kicker only via a piece of aluminum stock attached to the kicker handle, but the ST1000 and setup is right in the way of where we bring fish into the boat, and when the kicker runs the flywheel magneto screws with the autopilots internal compass.  

So I am actually going to list the ST1000 and the remote I bought for sale on here and a few other places, and think about what other options I have.