Kicker

Landshark

OK, I need to buy a kicker. I dont need an electric start but I want it for the alternator. Is that a good idea? Ive been searching around for leftovers and such. Its going to be for a 17 ft LUND. Is 9.9 or 8 recomended? Also what can anyone tell me about the Tohatsu motors? I know they are nissans with different stickers. Would you go with one? A new 20 inch shaft with electric start, tiller model can be purchased for 1899 delivered. Is that a good deal? I would buy an older leftover if the price was right. The best prices have been in Delaware where there is no state sales tax but I'm not sure if it's worth the drive. All ideas and input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

The Landshark

shark. I would think 8hp would be more than enough. But if you plan on going with a bigger boat in the future think about the 9.9.

"Also what can anyone tell me about the Tohatsu motors? I know they are nissans with different stickers."

Not to be byas in any way but they are an excellent engine. In the early 80's when they first intuduced them in the states we sold a lot of them on the coast. I was one of the 1st dealers at that time. You have it a bit backwards. Tohatsu is the manufacturer. Nisson buys from them, as well as the smaller Mercs, and other major engine companies just different colors and decals.

If you can get a good deal. I wouldn't be afraid of them. A good share of the smaller engines as well as the kickers you guys run are made by Tohatsu with others paint and stickers on them.

• 2 weeks later...

Well i made my decision. I went with the Tohatsu 9.8 4 stroke electric start long shaft with 12v alternator. I ordered it online for a price of 1890 dollars delivered. No tax no shipping cost so hopefully it will be a good lil kicker. Time will tell.