Minn kota

Hey all,  I have been fishing Lake O for the last couple years and looking to make things a little easier.  I have a 18 foot legend and notice when I’m fishing with two people and trying to net a fish it’s hard to control the boat with a little chop.  I was wondering if anyone is using a Minn Kota trolling motor to help steer the boat in this situation.  I currently do t have one and have been thinking about getting a terrova to keep my heading when trying to net.  Any thoughts?

before you say it sometimes I can’t have a third to steer. 

Yes.  Do it now.  Nothing since the chart plotter has influenced my fishing more.  

I had a Terrova on my last boat and my new (used) boat came with one.  I just replaced it with an Ulterra.

I set my kicker straight ahead slightly slower than i want to go and set the electric to about 40% .  I set the auto pilot, then make all steering changes with the remote.

If you are buying used, Minnkota changed the model in 2018 I believe to a Bluetooth model.  While the Bluetooth feature is nice (Anyone on the boat with the ap can control the boat with their phone) they are also more accurate and easier to stow and deploy.

The only time I have had any trouble with the system is when trolling for musky over 4 mph, the motor cant keep up.

Good luck.

Brian

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

When the waves are 2-3 feet I generally only troll with the waves or maybe 45 degrees either direction.  I'm not much for trolling into waves that size with any method. The main issue is the prop coming out of the water if it's too short.

I have a Crestliner Raptor 1850 and use a 60" 80lb and don't have any problems.  Not familiar with your particular boat, but if it's exceptionally deep, you will want a longer shaft.

• Like 1

I do the same on the St Lawrence, waves not the issue, but wind and current are. Consider adding a large rudder to your Minn Kota. It allows the motor to steer like a sailboat and not rely solely on thrust.

I would be cautious in the heavy chop with the rudder. If the bow is slamming up and down hard, it could add a lot of stress. In normal conditions, boat tracks like an autopilot.

Beagler hit the nail on the head. On our Lund we are propelled with the kicker engine and steer/Auto[pilot with the Minn Kota. Shoot me a message if you're interested. I have some trolling motors in stock.

• Like 1

Another overlooked benefit to using your bow-fan as steering while trolling is how much more responsive the boat is to making quick adjustments.  While fishing the steep ledges of the FLX you get get yourself out of trouble in a hurry if you find a ledge that's not well-marked on your chart.  I've got a 72" Terrova on my 18' Starcraft, and haven't had many issues with the motor breaking the surface in a steep chop.

• Like 1

Yes, get one. Everything Beagler Described is correct. There are are hundreds if not thousands of smaller boats on erie and Ontario that use the bow mount for the purpose you describe. Make sure you get a shaft long enough for your boat. I need a 72" shaft on my starcraft, most can get away with the shorter 60" shaft.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

Yes totally worth it. I fish solo often and last year discovered the minn kota auto pilot feature. It is a game changer.  If it’s too choppy for the trolling motor solo I use my main motor and let the auto pilot do the steering for me so my attention and hands are focused on managing lines.

• Like 1

Been using a terova for 3 years on my 18ft Alumacraft. I fish alone and the terrova does all my steering. I've netted fish while going in to 3ft waves. Bigger than that I'll call it a day. This is something I discovered and to be aware of is the 2 modes for autopilot, legacy and advanced. I use legacy as it just uses compass heading and keeps the speed steady when trolling. If use use the advanced mode it will compensate for currents and wind which you really don't need and can cause the boat to slow to a crawl. 

I have thousands of hours on my 36v terrova and have been using them for  a decade trolling and it's excellent.  I use the cruise control with most of the thrust provided by the gas motor.  Add Dakota lithium ion batteries and you'll run out of juice long before your batteries.  I'm about to buy my third minn kota but I'm going with the ulterra this time....save me easily a thousand walks a season to the bow!  I wish the remotes werent touch screen now but I'll get used to it!  

Rick, can I program my old terrova remote to a new ulterra?  I have 3 remotes and I definitely don't want to use a touch screen remote!