Kicker size for a 30ft

Shawncc

I'd suggest one of the high thrust 9.9 four strokes. I don't have a boat like this to try out but 7-8 is going to be tough to do on a kicker. Maybe on a smooth day or wind at your back but heading into a decent chop would be tough even with a 20hp I'd imagine. Unless you can get it to plane your stuck pushing thru the water and likely 8hp-20hp will have the same top speed. The common formula for hull speed is 1.34 times the square root of waterline length (not length overall). While not entirely accurate, it will give you a ballpark approximation of speed. There are many other factors that come into play.

Your 30 footer may have an actual waterline length of 28 feet or so which, by applying the common formula, would give you a hull speed of about 7 knots give or take. The formula doesn't take into account drag from shafts, struts, props, rudders, dirty bottom, etc.

i have a 265 Penn Yan and i run a 9.9 4stroke.  It runs the boat fine up to about 5 mph.  It does have issues with higher winds.   If you are looking for a bit higher speed,   i would recommend a 15 at a minimum.   But for most trolling i have never had an issue moving and steering with my 9.9 except for high wind/wave conditions.

I fished a friend's PY 265 with a 25hp. It's trolls effortlessly at a high idle 1.5 to 3.5. At 10 mph no problem. Winds no problem. Autopilot control no problem. Good luck

5 hours ago, Frogger said:

I’d go min 15hp if boating on fingerlakes, min 20-25 if on the big pond. Trolling is one thing, being able to get her in if needed is another. If you have twins and already have a back up then 15 would work.  

X2

I have a 15 Suzuki on a 26' Starcraft at around 7000 # and it is perfect for what i need trolls down to 1.3 for walleye and no problem for salmon speeds less than half throttle. As for wide open throttle not sure how fast it will push the boat as i have only had it 3/4 throttle and I believe it was pushing 6-7 mph with the stock prop.

I would look at price difference between 15 and 20 and 25 hp also look at the weight of all 3 and pick the one that best suites your need.