Wire diver setup

Sorry guys.  I am sure this has been thoroughly discussed before but I can't find an old thread.  Do you connect wire directly to your diver with a snap swivel or do you terminate the wire with a barrel swivel and have some sort of mono in front of the diver?  Setups would be used on Lake O.  Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, Take_Him said:

Sorry guys.  I am sure this has been thoroughly discussed before but I can't find an old thread.  Do you connect wire directly to your diver with a snap swivel or do you terminate the wire with a barrel swivel and have some sort of mono in front of the diver?  Setups would be used on Lake O.  Thanks in advance.

Like said above, wire to snap swivel directly to diver, then leader of your chosen length after diver to the lure. Keep in mind if your leader length after the diver is more than 6ft or so (depending on the size of your boat), you will likely have to hand line the fish in. There are ways around this but they require different rigging (ie. S-clip, slide divers, etc)

Thank you.  I thought with some mono or braid before the snap for the diver it might be easier to take the rods apart and store them. All the wire would be tight on the reels.  But that is more to fail in the long run, so I will heed your advice.  Appreciate the answers.

Thank you.  I thought with some mono or braid before the snap for the diver it might be easier to take the rods apart and store them. All the wire would be tight on the reels.  But that is more to fail in the long run, so I will heed your advice.  Appreciate the answers.
I put a piece of #50 mono between the wire and swivel leading to diver... Couple of reason why...
#1... Can set my drags just a little tighter for better hook ups. The mono stretchs a little and acts as a shock absorber with hard hits.. With regular snubbers, I lost alot of fish...
#2... Working on your rods or breaking them down for storage... No pig tailed wire.
#3.. When flea season hits a couple rod lengths of #50 mono can keep alot off your rigs... If the fleas are really bad, it won't matter what you have down, they will stick...
Hope it helps...Matt

Sent from my VS996 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

That does help, thank you.  No issues tripping the diver as long as I stick to about 15 feet of 50 pound mono?
None what so ever... It might be another terminal end that could possibly fail, however you won't get kinks in the wire when working on your gear ( changing out lures ect)... I change my #50 leaders maybe once a year... I check them every trip for wear marks... Plus I check the wire terminal end every trip....
The other good thing is.... If you get some Yahoo who sets the hook on your wire, there is a little more give depending on how hard they set the hook...
I get alot of people who have never caught a fish on a wire diver. I tell people all the time that we don't "Sink the hook" but I always have that guy who thinks he's Roland Martin... Lol.....

Sent from my VS996 using Lake Ontario United mobile app