I’ve notice variation in the brown trouts meat color from a deep orange to a grey ,

whitish color. The cause is the amount of carotene in their diet which gives the meat its orange color. My investigation seems to indicate that eating eggs, krill, shrimp, and insects tends to lead to the the orange color whereas a fish diet leads to lighter color. My thought is possibly eggs, insects, and fresh water shrimp are the cause in Lake Ontario browns. 

I’ve personally not noticed a difference in flavor. I know the bright orange coloration is usually preferred  however white salmon are often considered desirable in Alaska. Any thoughts?

Edited by Kevin J Legg

There has always been some bright orange and some pale orange Ontario browns long before gobies.

I filleted some last night, same thing, some pale orange and some bright orange.

I agree about the taste, I cannot notice any difference. Though I always feel like the bright orange should taste the best!

Edited by reeleyz

3 hours ago, Kevin J Legg said:

You think gobies give them orange color?

Fishing the browns for as long as I have and way before gobies, it wasn't until had browns with bellies full of gobies that I got such a vivid orange meat.   Browns always had a more orange tint but way more bright since the gobies.   except for ones that were in the steams in the fall or spring.  Those were extremely pale, almost grey and usually were on a fish that had more river colors than bright shiny lake colors.

Edited by Fat Trout

I raise trout in 4 ponds ( brooks, browns and rainbows )  and have studied brook trout color here too with respect to letting them eat mostly bugs, insects, fathead minnows vs mostly top grade fish kibble with a lot of fishmeal/krill as the main ingredients.  I have found that the fishmeal/krill fish food will tend to make the meat more pink than a fish that is left to feed mostly on those pond things ( 2 days of automated feed from pellets ).  WHen a fish is fed pellets of a lesser grade ( a lot of corn and wheat midlings, fillers, etc.) the meat will turn almost pure white. Not even grey.   The taste will vary from more a 'muddy' flavor slightly when fish are eating insects, grubs, worms and more mild when fed more minnow/fish based kibble diet.  

SO, on the Lake O, I would assume the same, minus kibble of course but the same basic idea. But I only am going off my own observations past 10 yrs here.  

I also wonder about prey species that may eat a lot of plant material in addition to other small fish in the end result predator's flesh color?   ALewwives may consume more of the crustaceans, shrimp, etc.  

Edited by Hounds

12 hours ago, Fat Trout said:

Fishing the browns for as long as I have and way before gobies, it wasn't until had browns with bellies full of gobies that I got such a vivid orange meat.   Browns always had a more orange tint but way more bright since the gobies.   except for ones that were in the steams in the fall or spring.  Those were extremely pale, almost grey and usually were on a fish that had more river colors than bright shiny lake colors.

That has been my experience as well.

I believe it's all diet related. The fish in the lake eating Gobies, Smelt, and Alewife are the ones that are nice and orange. The ones coming out of the stream are generally white, and they've been on a bug and egg diet for months. 

• Like 1