Yankee in the ROC with our 1st King of the Season

April 2nd - It was a tough day due to the amount of chocolate water. Strong NW winds last night churned up the shoreline making it almost impossible for the fish to see our baits. We made a move mid morning putting some miles on the Yankee that didn’t really pan out, but we tried. At 2pm we were 4/5 on cookie cutter Brown Trout, but right at the end a 19.5lb Chinook nailed our Chinook Diver. It changed the mood on the boat very quickly!

tumblr_cf6f5c4db375ddf9a967724eda58fb44_1d4fc16e_1280.thumb.jpg.ed5b9916f948cf227e2f9083d08ad26d.jpg

April 3rd - When we broke the pier heads this morning we decided to try the opposite direction from yesterday. We were hoping the water color was cleaner. After getting set-up we had two people get sick on 1-3’s from the North, so we picked up and headed back to the marina. Once everyone felt better, and hit the head, we tried it again but stayed close to home. The clients were testing the waters to see if they could handle it. The lake seemed to have laid down a little, and everyone felt good, so we picked rods in unproductive water and headed to yesterday’s water on a whim. What a difference a day made! We proceeded to whack and stack the Brown Trout in 10-13'of water. Most fish were cookie cutter 16-20" fish, but we did get a few decent ones.

Bay Rat SS’s back 100’ in BT Candy, Green Frog, Citrus Shad, Ayu, Coho Crusher, Can’t Afford It, and Ghost Wipe. On our Chinook Divers we ran a DW SS Rasta Goose and a Bay Rat 3.5 Black Flash 10-12’ back. Our Cannon Downriggers fished spoons back 40’ and down 5’. Glow Frog on one side and Mulatto on the other. Everything took fish!

tumblr_3c9734701223a9a0cf9809d3ce9f3934_d5ea15e0_1280.thumb.jpg.c132fafe56bf880289731a90371ebe92.jpgtumblr_a4d8e0e6eaa18700424a1e4716a9f3aa_bb04c528_1280.thumb.jpg.3dffb113c6e83197690ce7f1e40616ac.jpg

Edited by Yankee Troller
  • Like 8

Congrats on popping your king cherry. Other than a rare March spawner some guy caught drifting the Niagara, I think yours may be the first one caught this year. I have not seen any postings on Spoonpullers for Canadian water kings either. I am picturing what a king rip looks like on a diver out 15’ lol. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Gill-T said:

Congrats on popping your king cherry. Other than a rare March spawner some guy caught drifting the Niagara, I think yours may be the first one caught this year. I have not seen any postings on Spoonpullers for Canadian water kings either. I am picturing what a king rip looks like on a diver out 15’ lol. 

A buddy took one a week ago out of P-Ville. Saw one taken off Jordan this weekend and one out of Sodus.

• Like 1

a nice video of some mid march Kings taken off the bar. 

We picked up 3 Kings this past Saturday as well as a massive muskie. 

If your interested have a look at the following video from Pt Dalhousie drifting the river. They caught a salmon that wintered and didn't spawn. Strange fish. 

Edited by Helter Skelter
  • Like 1