Luhr Jensen Deep six diver

Wanted some feed back using these. If anyone has or is still using these as part of their trolling setup. I would like to try using these at back of boat in lou of using downriggers. I have a 17.5' v and just wondering if they could be used effectively for water less than 100'. Any and all feedback appreciated. Thanks

i would not advise you use the deep six.  i would use a dipsy diver.  there is a lot more flexibility you can go straight back at 0 setting or choose 1 or 2 or 3 and have them go out to the side.  you could use them in a pinch but probably better options if downriggers are not in budget

• Like 1

Used LJ Deep Six’s on a guided Columbia River Buoy 10 trip a few years ago.  Ran short leads on slow trolled cut plug herring into the current.  Max lead length maybe 40’.  IMO old time niche product with better options for the way we fish on the Great Lakes.  My uncle that fished Lake Michigan in the 70’s would curse at the mention of deep sixes and pink ladies.

• Like 1

They work. If you are running solo tight to structure you may find them better than a dipsy because you know where they are behind the boat. Perhaps running near the bottom while you are following a contour line on a finger lake. When I used to run them, I would put the heavier model down middle running deeper than dipsys off to the side. I stopped running them because you have to clear them each time a rigger goes off.