Browns/salmon in rough water

I am very new to the browns/steelie /salmon fishing-but very experienced in walleye fishing. PLEASE don't take this the wrong way-but it seems a lot of posts shy away from rough water fishing (2-4's-etc) but I fish that water more often than not on Erie and Ontario for eyes. Does the fishing turn bad in rougher water? When I read that guys aren't going out for browns that are in 20' of water and the water is rough-I don't want to waste my time this weekend if I see that it is going to blow. I am coming up 265 miles to fish out of Fair Haven for the first time on my boat for browns.

I am sorry if I ruffled some feathers-like I said-I am a big time newbie for trout/salmon.I will be glad to help anyone with walleye fishing. I have fished tourneys on Erie/Ontario/Saginaw Bay and cashed checks in 3 out of 7 tourneys I have been in.

Thank you.

Walteye

Water looks good for this weekend right now:

LAKE ONTARIO OPEN WATERS FROM HAMLIN BEACH TO THE SAINT LAWRENCE

RIVER-

946 AM EDT THU APR 23 2009

.THIS AFTERNOON...WEST WINDS 15 TO 25 KNOTS. WAVES 4 TO 6 FEET.

.TONIGHT...WEST WINDS 10 TO 20 KNOTS BECOMING SOUTHWEST AND

DIMINISHING TO 5 TO 10 KNOTS. WAVES 3 TO 5 FEET SUBSIDING TO 1 TO

3 FEET.

.FRIDAY...SOUTH WINDS 5 TO 15 KNOTS. WAVES 2 FEET OR LESS.

.FRIDAY NIGHT...SOUTH WINDS 5 TO 15 KNOTS. WAVES 1 TO 3 FEET.

.SATURDAY...SOUTHWEST WINDS 5 TO 15 KNOTS INCREASING TO 10 TO

20 KNOTS. WAVES 2 FEET OR LESS.

.SUNDAY...SOUTHWEST WINDS 5 TO 15 KNOTS BECOMING SOUTH. WAVES

2 FEET OR LESS.

.MONDAY...SOUTH WINDS 10 TO 20 KNOTS BECOMING SOUTHWEST 5 TO

15 KNOTS. WAVES 2 FEET OR LESS.

And it should be in the 50's on the water, not like the 80's inland!

Good luck!!

No, the fishing doesn't shut down. Its just not fun for most people. The guys with the Trojans and Tiaras don't seem to mind a 2-4' chop :rofl: .

This time of year when your BT fishing in tight the rough water can muddy up that shoreline to 20' depth which turns the fish off becasue of visibility and water temp drop. That happened this past weekend to us. This weekend looks to be a lot of south wind, so you don't have to worry about rough water on our side of the lake. What you do have to worry about is all that South wind turning our shoreline into crystal clear water. This will make your fishing tough. Light Floro would be a must with long leads.

If your out doing the Salmon thing in rough water it actually gives your lures some good action.

Joe-thank you for the weather update. Great !!

The question I have still remains for the future-do the browns/salmon turn off in rougher water. I have caught eyes on Erie and Ontario in MWC tourneys and prefishing in 4-6 footers-sometimes a better bite than in calm water. Any thoughts/experience?

Thank you again.

Walteye

Yankee- as usual-you answered the question. The next question is-will the BT move out to deeper "colored" water-or the temps will determine that? Will the warmer inshore water be pushed further offshore? Like the eyes of spring-which are up high in the water column looking for warmer water-and most of the time you can't read them on the sonar (cause the cone is so small)-and we target the warmer water-not necessarily the marks.

Like I said-all new to me...but thanks a million!

Walteye

There has been a good amout of rain this past week so even if the stained water gets pushed out by the south winds, target the run off from the creeks. They will hold fish.

The problem is lots of guys have 17 to 19 ft boats and its not a fun day. For me I have boat control issues in 5's so thats my limit. The big guys don't have problems but I find that I will slide and the lures won't run right unless I'm going with or against the waves, then speed becomes an issue even with bags out. Get beat up too. Boat takes a beating, break stuff. Been there, I'll go play golf instead. 2 to 4's no prob though.

RR

Rusty Rat-

That's what I run-19' CrestLiner. I find it is more of a challenge running the rougher water rather than flat calm! I will be putting in Saturday in Fair Haven-if anyone sees a tan/black Crestliner SuperHawk walk-thru with a big white Evinrude-the radio will be on 68.

Walteye

walteye out in Calif I put a trolling plate on my Honda 150 and I run a 20' Crestliner.

When the water starts to get rough I turn off my kicker and drop the trolling plate on the big motor, you will be able to control your trolling speed and course. Then hang with the bigger boats.

Davis

http://www.davisnet.com/marine.

http://www.davisnet.com/marine/products ... sp?grp=mo2

Stan-with the 9.9 and the bowmount w/ autopilot-I am good to go hands free. I have read too many reports about problems with pins in the trolling plate to reduced speed-so I stay away. Plus I run a 2003 Evinrude 150 Ficht and don't want to run it at about idle for hours at a time. With the SS 4 blade prop I run-I can only get down to 3.3 mph-and even though I have drift sox on the boat-I prefer to use them only when not under power (if I want to go slow-thats what the 9.9 or the electric trolling motor is for).

Thanks for the input.

Good fishing!!!

Walteye