AM/FM antenna suggestions

Misty IV

I'm looking to change out the wire antenna for the AM/FM radio on the boat. All the current one does is plug into the radio and then a coated wire (about 3' long) runs out behind the helm to the hole where all the wires come up and out to the electronics. It then attaches to the side window. Reception out on the lake is hit and miss, depending on the direction of travel. The radio is older and doesn't have any USB or Bluetooth capabilities.

Aside from mounting another antenna on the boat, what is everyone with an older radio using for reception? I'm mainly in Mexico Bay and off Oswego. Are there better glass-mount antennas that work well? Boat is a Starcraft Islander. Thanks for any input!

Sent from my IN2019 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 2 weeks later...
I have no antenna connected and pick up all the stations out on the water???
Where I troll, reception is hit-n-miss. It's weird. If I'm trolling north or east, I pick up some stations. As soon as I loop around and troll back, the radio stations are scratchy. I had the wire antenna mounted on the starboard side window, so I attribute it to the antenna not being on land side, and when I'd loop around, the antenna would be facing Canada and wide open water.

• 2 weeks later...
Do you have a VHF on board? There is a splitter available allowing your antenna to work for the stereo as well. Works really well!
I ended up getting the Shakespeare splitter and I'm blown away with how great the reception is now. Every radio station comes in crystal clear. Thanks for the suggestion!