Sea Tow or Boat US?

Afer launching the new boat today, having engine problems and being towed in by the DEC (no thanks to the coast guard who came over, laughed at me, and said call sea tow)... I need to know experiences with Sea Tow vs. Boat US. This would be primarily out of Sodus Point. Today I was on the Hudson River, where Sea Tow is located at the area I launch from, but searching their site there is no home base by Sodus. Boat US has a home base in Rochester but I'm not sure I understand how their 25 mile distance thing works... any input would be appreciated.

Nick

I have Boat US and the one thing I like is if you are on someone else’s boat and need a tow, you’re covered. I don’t know if Sea Tow does that. The other thing is more Boat US around Lake O. The 25 mile thing is they will tow you 25 miles from their port. Another words how I understand it, if their port is 20 miles from your dock, you are good to go.

Hope this helps.

The best thing anyone can do is be a "Good Samaritan" and help the other person out. So what if it is a money contest, most of them are a crap shoot for the winner anyway. When I was in the Coast Guard we went out anytime, anywhere to help someone. Now they pick and choose and the people paying their wages are out of luck.They are getting paid and the boats you paid for are not available to help you. Maybe some changes in policy are needed. Do not give me the cost arguement because I see the "Make Work Patrols" and helicopters spending our money daily. Anyway, helping out your fellow boater is the "right thing" to do.

Sorry to hear that happened to you Nick. The Coast Guard will assist you if you are in danger of any sort. I know how frustrating it can be when they won't tow you in, but they need to be on call and ready for an emergency. If any of us experienced a life threatening emergency aboard our vessel, do you think we'd be OK with them getting to us as soon as they finished towing in someone who had engine trouble or ran out of gas?

Boaters and LOU members need to band together and help each other out in times of crises. If you fish and boat regularly, you will get stranded on the water at some point. Nick is a good example....that's a brand new boat he just purchased :o . It happens. In Jersey, there are tow services and your expected to be signed up with one (like Rick is). If you're not...It's not the Coast Guard's fault. I really really really wish a towing service had a presence on lake O.

Two years ago we got stranded on lake O during the Oswego Pro Am due to two dead batteries. It was my bad...my spares were in the truck. I had a battery drain and discharging alt. I was unaware of. Nobody would tow me in...give me a jump....run for my battery....nothing. It was a Pro Am and I understood. It was bumpy that day and few rec. boats were out so we were stuck! The Coast Guard stayed in touch and finally agreed to tow us in once it became apparent there were no other options. They were very cool about it, but expect a very thorough safety check if they ever do tow you in ;) . In hindsight, the fact that nobody would assist us was pretty pathetic actually, because all we needed was a spare battery. It is what it is though....we need Sea Tow!!

Yes it is the right thing to do, BUT!

I have heard many times of people being sued because of damage to a boat that was being towed by a good Samaritan and not by the choice of the boat owner. The insurance company does. I am not saying I would not tow someone in, but I would prefer to have them towed in by a tow company. If someone was in danger, that’s a whole different story. The first thing when I bought my new boat was put the towing on it. Sometimes you are out and no other boats insight and it’s a better feeling to know you can call or the radio or cell phone.

Absolutely Rick. Our problem on Lake O is we don't have a tow service in most (if any) ports. If we do we should start a thread with their contact info. So...no tow service....nobody willing to help....what is one to do? Most locals have friends in the region, but we who drive 5-7 hours don't necessarily have that luxury. I have spent many thousands of dollars to ensure I don't need a tow again, but the truth is at some point I might, and we all will at some point if we spend enough time on the water.

Besides, not all calls are a tow. The one time I had to call was a dead battery, which I would hope should never happen again with all the back up systems I now have in place. It didn't need to be a tow....just an assist... but it unfortunately turned into a tow cause nobody could assist due to the Pro Am. Don't even get me started with lawsuits :devil::@ I've heard those stories too.

Well, my "opinion" on the coast guard thing is they should tow you in, but if they hear a distress call leave you where you sit and go help. I should have just told them I was in danger as I was truly having major depression, which is a sickness you know ;)

Boat US is out of Rochester which is further than 20 miles, but I wonder if they would still hep, just charge more?

Nick

I have heard many times of people being sued because of damage to a boat that was being towed by a good Samaritan and not by the choice of the boat owner. The insurance company does.

The remedy to this is -- DONT TELL THE INSURANCE COMPAY WHO TOWED YOU IN. JUST SAY SOME KIND BOATER AND I DID'T GET HIS NUMBER!!!!!

The real remedy on LO is for other boats to help out. BUT if you are in a contest you should not expect another contest boat to assist unless in the case of an emergency and adrift on LO when no SCA is posted is not an emergency.

At Pt. Breeze the Sherrif does the towing.

CC

Just to follow up, I called BoatUS today and they said that if I broke down off Sodus Point, they'd contact a different towing agency if their boats weren't in range and then reimburse up to $2500 per incident. Same went for out at Wilson or on the Hudson (as long as above the tappan zee). I figured for $50 I'd give it a try. I picked up the trailer insurance for an extra $10 also.

Heard back today that the upper unit on my outdrive will need to be replaced and is covered under warranty, so hopefully I won't need it, but anyone that knows me know how good my luck is :@

Nick

not to bad mouth any org. but my experience with boat us trailer club as noit good. i had a brake hang up on I81 near wilkesbarre, called boat us and told them. the first words told to me was , i dont know when someone will be there, the second thing she told me is they dont do brakes. I said goodbye boatus. (forever)

john :(