Spring ESLO/LOC Derby Date Change

Change Spring ESLO Derby start date to May 15th  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Change Spring ESLO Derby start date to May 15th

• Yes, May 15th would be better
    • No, Leave it where it is

I was wondering about what everyone thinks about the spring ESLO derby dates? Here is my beef...

1). They put one of the weekend dates on Mother's Day. I am sure many of you have had a few discussions about fishing on Mother's day with your spouse :inlove::yes:

2). Due to the early dates, the fishing is really from the Niagara to Wilson unless you are targeting Browns, so all the boats are condensed into a small area. A later start date, say May 15th, will bring more of the lake into play and spread out the boats lakewide.

3). The weather can be iffy with plenty of East winds. Many times I have noticed a SW or West wind one mile from the lake, only to find the cold air mass over Ontario turn the winds back to the West as an Easterly over the lake.

4). College is still in session with finals and graduations so the younger crowd can't always get out.

So, I thought similar to the three-rod rule, maybe if enough people felt strongly enough to contact Derby officials to push back the date further into May. Just a thought.

The Spring LOC has been run this way for years. The East end and Rochester area have put out the Grand Prize winning king in the past spring derbies (2004 Jim Unkle off Oswego - 1997, 98 or 99 Adam Simara Off of Rochester). You can say the same thing about the Fall LOC. Most years, a large percentage of the kings have migrated to the Oswego / Salmon river area during the majority of the fall derby. There are plenty of browns, steelies, and lakers that pay out a nice paycheck. As far as the weather goes, it is a crap shoot no matter what time of the year it is. No matter what LOC does, someone will not be happy. They can not accomidate everyone. I just go out there to have fun and fish. If I catch a winning fish, thats an added bonus.

Brian, I couldn't agree more with your saying that no matter what one does everyone can't be happy. I have held various positions thru my daughters softball careers, such as league VP, board of directors, tournament committee chair, scheduling, etc, and someone will find fault to the best laid plans. Having said that however, I believe that constructive input can be healthy and at most times should be taken into consideration. Especially if it is to enhance the efficiency of an event. I think what Chad is suggesting does have some merit. I do know that at one time the Spring LOC was held in the month of April. So they have backed it up a little here. But taking all things considered, is there a way to recruit more participants? I think that is one of his questions. I would have to say a resounding yes to this, esp in the spring. Just an example----Pa's spring turkey hunt starts April 25th and runs thru most the month of May. I have a # of friends who love to do both , but usually opt to bird hunt early in the season. Let alone many school functions that are still in session, that just in a couple of weeks would be over. Such as baseball and softball, along with other events. Lets just throw this out for discussion and see what a few think. Here are a few suggestions to consider, for even 1 year to see the results.

1- move to start date of the Spring LOC back 2 weeks to the 15th then run it to capture Memorial day as well. They would not only gain an extra day but guaranteed more participants. I would have 3 myself had this been in place. This would also allow the ice from Erie to work its way thru, esp. on a hard late winter such as just a few years ago.

2- Take the summer derby and instead of ending it on the 19th of July run it then an extra 2 weeks til the 2nd of Aug, esp this year with Labor day so late. Summer derby runs the entire month of June-lets face it here, that month with the June swoon can be challenging. The 2 weeks that would be gained in July would be more productive. Just another way to gather participants.

3- The cutoff time for the spring is OK- no problem there, but as been talked about before, moving it til 9:00 for the Fall should be strongly considered. If they would only consider making 1 change, that should be the one.

I don't want anyone to lose sight that I give Dave and others, kudos for putting on this event. I'll fish them under any circumstance. Have been since the inception of E.S.L.O. These are just a few suggestions, that I think would help to elevate the event. Lets face it here. There is not the participation of years past, where at one time there was 13,000 in the spring ESLO I believe in the 80's. This was the time when they had the Cash Bash and total prize was worth over 70K with prize money,boat and etc. Granted we don't have that structure now, but with the proposed license fees esp. for out of staters and such, we should look for the current numbers to drop. Is there a way to limit some of those? I agree that they are doing a good job. But being a business man myself, would like to think I do a good job as well or wouldn't be able to stay in business. But if someone has a suggestion to make my business run more efficient, I'm all ears. Irregardless, best of luck to all this year during the derbies and such, but as I have made mention before, think safety first and foremost-Duane

My 2 cents here,

If we all remeber not to long ago the Spring event was pushed back one week to end on Mother's Day so I don't think another change would not be listened to. Our group for one won't fish the second weekend just for the reasons stated earlier - non-fishing wives and the need to keep peace with being around on Mother's Day weekend.

We would agree to move it back 2 weeks minimun as most of us know the fishing "usually" starts toget hot out west right after Mother's Day and many guys start their fishing around that time.

Clarke

Gambler, Gambler, Gambler......I know you are a newlywed....just wait. I like the May 15th start date, for fishing reasons, schedule reasons, Turkey opener reason etc. I could think of a million reasons.

Even though I have fished mother's day in the past, it was NOT a good decision on my part. Last year was the first year I didn't.This is what the wifey looked like after fishing that day :devil: . I've never liked them dates either and even though the grand prize hasn't been caught on the west end lately, they do get most of the king and laker entries. I fish it for the enjoyment of it and hope I may get a rainbow or brown to weigh in. This year I am celebrating mother's day on Sat. the 2nd so I can go to wilson for the scotty tournament. That did make things a BIT better w/ the wife. 8)

Ok, running 50/50.....apparently the Mother's Day weekend is not a problem for you guys. So, either you are not married, or have been married long enough that the wife wants you out of the house :lol:

Married. I'm 49. Wife and I have no children. My mother does not come back from FL until the 3rd week of May. No problems for me at all. Just have to make sure the card/gift and flowers arrive on time in FL. (or my a$$ is grass) :D I like it the way it is. Gives me enough time to regroup for the Niagara pro am.

RR