Youth hunt

My son was lucky enough to get into the NYSDEC youth mentor turkey hunt this weekend.  This morning, he connected on his first bird ever!  A huge thank you to our guide JT for putting us on this bird.  Anyone with a kid that is a youth hunter, look into this program!  The DEC, sponsors and volunteers do a great job putting this on.  Next year I will be sponsoring this event!  

25710812-8843-4F5D-BF5E-18BA0A9F7B6B.jpeg

11B663D5-CBB7-4AB1-A951-E0C74CAB519F.jpeg

2A21EE7C-0818-4769-9E5E-4650F04F2AE6.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Awesome!

I wish NY was like the surrounding states where kids younger than 12 could be mentored.

I have taken my oldest, now 9, to PA to hunt public land the past 2 youth seasons. No birds killed yet but he is learning some woodsmanship. It is hard to imagine that he has to wait 3 more years to hunt in NY!

New York has weird laws. Your 12 year old can hunt coyotes and fox, by himself at 3am  with an AR15 but can’t Turkey hunt with his dad with a shotgun. You can’t make this sheazit up. 

44 minutes ago, reeleyz said:

Awesome!

I wish NY was like the surrounding states where kids younger than 12 could be mentored.

I have taken my oldest, now 9, to PA to hunt public land the past 2 youth seasons. No birds killed yet but he is learning some woodsmanship. It is hard to imagine that he has to wait 3 more years to hunt in NY!

Check out Close Encounters Whitetails in Ohio. 3 day guided Turkey hunts (two days hunting) with lodging as of a couple years ago was $600 a person. Went there twice with Tommy when he was younger and killed birds both trips. 

874214D6-5D93-4137-8E6F-B6E329BCFB9F.jpeg

0D45FB0E-7656-4E19-9291-943872B5CD85.jpeg

Edited by whaler1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Congrats Brian!  Good to see you there as well along with others that I have not seen since college.  Great bunch of people.  The largest bird was a whopper, triple bearded, some real trophy’s shot by these youngsters, also they donated a lifetime license to a youngster. Although my son passed on taking a long shot, he had a blast.  Hats off to the guides that took the weekend of their time to do this for the kids.