How to determine planer Board distance from boat

First is there a rule of thumb on setting planer board distance? I will like have two Yellowbird inline boards per side plus two downriggers on the stern.  Second, how do I determine how much line to let out past the planerboards and downriggers?  I will be running spoons, Rapalas, Cordell red fins, and  Thunder stick jr.  Some deep divers others not so much.

Thank you all for your wisdom and insights.

PoJ

Edited by Pair of Jacks

10 hours ago, Pair of Jacks said:

is there a rule of thumb on setting planer board distance?

Nope.... everything depends on depth, water color, wind and waves. A crosswind "slides" the boat sideways even when we don't notice it.  One board will track away and pull well, the other side will lag behind and closer to the boat. Clear, flat conditions, long leads behind the boards and away from the boat, colored water and choppy, you can run closer. Each trip will be different, conditions will change constantly.  

Just for me,... I start with lures 100ft.  behind the board, then let the boards out as far as conditions permit, and make adjustments as needed.  Your results may vary... 

• Like 1

On 4/30/2022 at 12:56 AM, Pair of Jacks said:

First is there a rule of thumb on setting planer board distance? I will like have two Yellowbird inline boards per side plus two downriggers on the stern.  Second, how do I determine how much line to let out past the planerboards and downriggers?  I will be running spoons, Rapalas, Cordell red fins, and  Thunder stick jr.  Some deep divers others not so much.

Thank you all for your wisdom and insights.

PoJ

I have always just eye-balled it as far as distances go. One thing I usually do is have my deeper running lures on the inside board and shallower ones on the outside board. In theory your shallower outside lure should be able to pass over top of your deeper inside lure without snagging that line. Obviously with a fish on thats not always the case, or if you're running similar baits. In that case I will reel the inside board in closer to the boat and have whoever is on the rod for the outside board keep the rod high and reel in slowly to let the fish and board get more behind the boat before bringing it in. 

• Like 1

On 5/2/2022 at 2:22 PM, FishingFool34 said:

I have always just eye-balled it as far as distances go. One thing I usually do is have my deeper running lures on the inside board and shallower ones on the outside board. In theory your shallower outside lure should be able to pass over top of your deeper inside lure without snagging that line. Obviously with a fish on thats not always the case, or if you're running similar baits. In that case I will reel the inside board in closer to the boat and have whoever is on the rod for the outside board keep the rod high and reel in slowly to let the fish and board get more behind the boat before bringing it in. 

FF34…thanks for great insights.  Here is a follow up question…landing/boating the fish:  what is the best technique for our safety and health of the fish?  We will likely catch and release 90% of our fish.

9 hours ago, Pair of Jacks said:

FF34…thanks for great insights.  Here is a follow up question…landing/boating the fish:  what is the best technique for our safety and health of the fish?  We will likely catch and release 90% of our fish.

Rubber coated net, minimal handling of the fish, back in the water ASAP and I'll go as far as towing the fish along side the boat for a minute or two to let it recover. I use the plastic clamping fish grips tied to a rope to tow them. I've had pretty good luck releasing that way. I release the majority of my fish as well. 

• Thanks 1

FF34--yep we have a large rubber landing net and practice all the same TTPs for stripers except we use rubberize fishing gloves to hold the fish along side the boat...please post orPM info/photo of your plastic clamping fish grips tied to a rope solution.

Respectfully

PoJ

8 minutes ago, Pair of Jacks said:

FF34--yep we have a large rubber landing net and practice all the same TTPs for stripers except we use rubberize fishing gloves to hold the fish along side the boat...please post orPM info/photo of your plastic clamping fish grips tied to a rope solution.

Respectfully

PoJ

Just one of these tied to a rope that's tied to a cleat, Grab the fish by the mouth and tow them along side the boat once they start kicking just release the jaws. They are like $10 on amazon, easier than holding the fish along the side of the boat imo. I also use the same method to bleed out the few fish I do keep.

image.png.69b3a8e99c88f445c4ce67c2b2ea6be7.png

Edited by FishingFool34
  • Like 1