Big board planer rod angles, etc

First, I am sorry this topic is probably beat to death, maybe someone steer me to a thread on this here I couldn't find it. 

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, I could be but it just does not make sense what my fishing buddy was doing.  
So, we have a small 19' aluminum and decided to try/install a mast with larger boards, since we have been using inline boards with good success for early season Browns ( three per side with minimal issues ).  He wanted to try the mast system for various reasons not getting into right here. 

It was all set up and I could not go so by buddy took his wife to drive and sort of get the feel for seting things up more smoothly for next time.  

He sent me a pic and he had REVERSED pretty much the rod holders angles; so now the 'front' rod ( closest to Bow) was at a pretty severe angle and he said he had that rod going to the furthest out or closest to the board.   Next rod back was higher angle, then last rod back was almost flat.  This makes no sense whatsoever to me, I think he was just experimenting, getting the hang of it but I am surprised he did not have a tangled Cluster #@$ or shafed lines.     

TO ME, it should have been left exactly the same way we always have had it.....  Closest rod towards the bow is almost straight up or close or whatever and this is your furthest rod out, the next back towards stern more of an angle and is middle , then 3rd rod almost flat is closest to boat, and a 4th is flat for flat line or dipsy closest to stern.   This way, every rod can go "up and over" the next rod and allow to get your fish to the 'fighting zone' out back.  Or I've even seen all rods fairly straight up or whatever. 
The other way makes no sense to me physically.  IDK how it can be done really. 

And we should separate the rods a little more with the mast system?  RIght now for inlines we have more a cluster maybe 8" apart.  

And I've read articles that higher is better for the mast, I get it. Dont' know if we will have any problems in that regard yet until we really get going on it, I think its 6 ft. 

Edited by Hounds

With big boards it is important to get the angle of your tow line as great as possible.  Once your release or tow line contacts the water then that is effective width you can achieve with that board.  So having your mast or tow point as high as possible creates your maximum distance.  Same goes with your front rod going out the furthest by keeping it high creates the greatest angle.  IMO a 19’ with 6 foot mast probably best with 2 lines per side based on tow line angle.  For that application likely in lines would provide a greater spread.  In lines make a lot of sense especially in smaller boat packages.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info. I did get the point of higher mast height but just more concerned about the lines crossing or touching unless that front rod is high or even all of them for that matter. As short of a distance from the boat as we can get away with ( board ) is going to be highest angle so I guess we experiment. And yes indeed the inlines we can get a real nice spread with 3 per side.