Why are my wire reels hard to reel! Not very smooth

I have to wire diver setups on Diawa sealine 47 lc with 9 foot shimano Talora rods and I installed twili tips running 1000 feet of seven strand wire. They don’t seem to pickup smooth and easy like my cold water copper reels or sealine downrigger reels and I can only attribute it to the wire.. is this normal?

Are they the old all black 47lc's or one of the newer models..have you tried to loosen the spool tension knob? It's like a cast control on a reg bait casting reel, it puts friction on the end of the shafts. It can make them reel harder don't back it off to much just a little. Try that and see if it changes anything

Sent from my moto z4 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

If you have Sealine Great Lakes Special 47LC’s, it could be bushing wear on the spool. When the bushings wear the spool will bind.  Later versions have bearings.  Could also be the wire binding coming off the spool- real important to spool the wire under a lot of tension to prevent it from digging in the spool.  

• Like 1

One other thing to check is if the line on the reel is lined up perfectly with the line guide. When wire is tightened up ... say from a fish being on ... lots of tension.

If the wire wasn't put on tight, or has a flexible backing (like mono) ... it will get out of sync with the line guide ... and that will cause a lot of friction.

• Like 1

One other thing to check is if the line on the reel is lined up perfectly with the line guide. When wire is tightened up ... say from a fish being on ... lots of tension.
If the wire wasn't put on tight, or has a flexible backing (like mono) ... it will get out of sync with the line guide ... and that will cause a lot of friction.
This can also happen spooling it up if you let the line reel on the reel after it goes inside of the level wind. This gets the level wind out of line with the line on the spool easiest way to fix this is to put a good size sinker on it and the next time you go out let the line out way past where you will ever have a fish pull the drag out so say like 600 feet or so on your counter ..and then reel it back in that puts good tension on the line and saves you trying to do it at home.

• Like 1

Even with the carbon fiber drags those reels  slipped and were hard to reel with any significant weight one them

did you use a backing under the wire to keep the wire from slipping on the spool? i had a problem with some reels with braid.  spooled reels without backing and went fishing on erie.  had all kinds of trouble reeling in fish. kept tightening tbhe drag until it wouldn't tighten any more. sent the reels to tuna toms for repair. thats when i was told my problem was the line slipping on the spools. he installed pins in the spools to tie my line to and replaced the drag washers with carbon washers. never had the problem again. now i just use a mono backing.

4 hours ago, bluegiller said:

This can also happen spooling it up if you let the line reel on the reel after it goes inside of the level wind. This gets the level wind out of line with the line on the spool easiest way to fix this is to put a good size sinker on it and the next time you go out let the line out way past where you will ever have a fish pull the drag out so say like 600 feet or so on your counter ..and then reel it back in that puts good tension on the line and saves you trying to do it at home.

yeah, we also just put a 12" paddle on the line ... without terminal end tackle ... and let it all out, then wind it back in.

• 3 weeks later...

What brand wire?  I have recently had some bad luck with the normally reliable Malin brand where one of the strands seemed to be not integrated within the other six strands of wire making it rough on the guides and easier to unravel.