Greece Canal Ponds Pike

Just now, GAMBLER said:

The entire pond.  You just worked around the pond looking for them.  We used fly rods with no weight.  Chum with bread and make flies out of white glow bug yarn.  You will also need dry fly floatant to make them float.  

My fly rod is pretty much K.I.A anything with a spinning reel

3 hours ago, whaler1 said:

I thought pike opened May 1?

Yes, starting this year it is May 1st (it used to be 1st Sat in May). That also includes opener for pickerel, walleye and tiger musky. They wanted to get rid of the "day of the week" start and stop dates in favor of 'month/day". Here is a link to the 2022-2023 regulations. From this page you can go to various sections of the regulations to get more detail such as creel and size limits, special regs etc.

https://www.eregulations.com/newyork/fishing

The cover page gives a basic list of changes for state wide regulations but there may be some variations in specific waters (and maybe counties) such as some southern tier tribs. Here is text from that page that gives the basics for pike, pickerel, walleye and tiger musky.

New specific dates replaced floating dates for statewide season openers to include:

• May 1 - Walleye, Northern Pike, Pickerel and Tiger Muskellunge;
  • June 1 - Muskellunge. (Note that in 2022, DEC will allow for the fishing of muskellunge beginning the last Saturday in May to accommodate previously planned fishing trips); and
  • June 15 - Largemouth and Smallmouth Bass.

Note that the opening day for musky is June 1st but THIS YEAR they are allowing people to fish for musky on the last Sat in May (this is for waters like Chautauqua Lake and Waneta Lake).

Also note that musky in the Great Lakes from Lake Erie to the St. Lawrence River does not open until June 15th which is 3 days earlier than the third Sat (which it used to be).

Edited by muskiedreams
  • Thanks 1

I don’t know what I’m thinking lol.  I’m sorry, you are completely right. I wasn’t even associating it was May because I’m usually chasing walleye as soon as it open, but I haven’t because I’ve been chasing turkeys this year. Good luck out there 

On 5/4/2022 at 8:58 PM, ifishy said:

Gambler only one pond? that was like 30 year's ago used to be a ton of small bass back than I would ride my bike there. When they expanded it they partially drained it heard a rumour that it killed off the fish back than I didn't know any better so I never went back always wondered if was any good again.

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Yeah, it was a long time ago...did you see that picture of Gambler? He was only a wee lad then lol.

• 2 weeks later...